python 2.3.2 and openbsd 3.4

Discussion in 'Python' started by Yuri Pimenov, Nov 12, 2003.

  1. Yuri Pimenov

    Yuri Pimenov Guest

    Hello, all.

    Im trying to build python 2.3.2 on openbsd 3.4.
    First of all, ./configure complains several times about unability to
    test sys/select.h, sys/lock.h files:

    checking ncurses.h usability... no
    checking ncurses.h presence... yes
    configure: WARNING: ncurses.h: present but cannot be compiled
    configure: WARNING: ncurses.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
    configure: WARNING: ncurses.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
    configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------ ##
    configure: WARNING: ## Report this to . ##
    configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------ ##
    checking sys/audioio.h usability... no
    checking sys/audioio.h presence... yes
    configure: WARNING: sys/audioio.h: present but cannot be compiled
    configure: WARNING: sys/audioio.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
    configure: WARNING: sys/audioio.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
    configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------ ##
    configure: WARNING: ## Report this to . ##
    configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------ ##
    checking sys/lock.h usability... no
    checking sys/lock.h presence...
    configure: WARNING: sys/lock.h: present but cannot be compiled
    configure: WARNING: sys/lock.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
    configure: WARNING: sys/lock.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
    configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------ ##
    configure: WARNING: ## Report this to . ##
    configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------ ##
    checking sys/select.h usability... no
    checking sys/select.h presence... yes
    configure: WARNING: sys/select.h: present but cannot be compiled
    configure: WARNING: sys/select.h: check for missing prerequisite
    headers?
    configure: WARNING: sys/select.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's
    result
    configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------ ##
    configure: WARNING: ## Report this to . ##
    configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------ ##

    then, after gmake all i got:

    icct@service ..ild/Python-2.3.2% gmake all
    gcc -pthread -c -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall
    -Wstrict-prototypes -I. -I./Include -DPy_BUILD_CORE -o Modules/python.o
    Modules/python.c
    In file included from /usr/include/sys/select.h:38,
    from Include/pyport.h:118,
    from Include/Python.h:48,
    from Modules/python.c:3:
    /usr/include/sys/event.h:53: syntax error before `u_int'
    /usr/include/sys/event.h:55: syntax error before `u_short'
    gmake: *** [Modules/python.o] Error 1

    Any ideas how to fix this?
    Btw, python 2.2.x builds without a single complain.
    --
    Yuri Pimenov
    Yuri Pimenov, Nov 12, 2003

  2. On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Yuri Pimenov wrote:

    > Im trying to build python 2.3.2 on openbsd 3.4.
    > First of all, ./configure complains several times about unability to
    > test sys/select.h, sys/lock.h files:

    {...}

    > Any ideas how to fix this?

    Figure out what is broken in, or missing from, your system's headers.

    Then figure out how to work around the broken/missing bits. Insert
    appropriate #defines in relevant files and teach configure.in how to
    activate them.

    In particular, I recall there being some fiddling required to get certain
    BSD APIs properly activated (BSD_SOURCE??).

    > Btw, python 2.2.x builds without a single complain.

    Lots changed in the configure machinery between 2.2.x and 2.3.x.

    --
    Andrew I MacIntyre "These thoughts are mine alone..."
    E-mail: (pref) | Snail: PO Box 370
    Andrew MacIntyre, Nov 12, 2003

  3. >>> Yuri Pimenov wrote

    > Hello, all.
    >
    > Im trying to build python 2.3.2 on openbsd 3.4.
    > First of all, ./configure complains several times about unability to
    > test sys/select.h, sys/lock.h files:

    Hopefully this will be fixed with the newly-released version of autoconf.
    In the meantime, can you please log a bug in the Python SF tracker - if
    possible, attach the relevant bits of config.log to the bug report.

    Anthony
    --
    Anthony Baxter <>
    Anthony Baxter, Nov 12, 2003