Python 2.3.4 hangs when run from modern cygwin/bash in WinXP, but is otherwise fine

Eric Woudenberg

I just installed a Python 2.3.4 Windows binary on a friend's WinXP
machine (because the latest Cygwin-provided Python 2.3 build leaves
out the winsound module for some reason).

When I try and run this newly installed Python from bash it just hangs
(no version message, no prompt, CPU is idle). When I run it from IDLE,
or the DOS CMD prompt, it runs fine. Also, Python scripts using the
new version run fine, even invoked on the bash command line. It seems
there's some problem with terminal i/o when invoked from bash.

However, using this same installer, Python 2.3.4 runs fine on my WinXP
machine (though mine is using an older version of cygwin).

Meanwhile, his cygwin-provided Python 2.3 runs fine from bash.

I haven't been able to figure out what's wrong. Does anyone have any
suggestions?

Thanks kindly in advance!

Eric Woudenberg

David Fraser

Eric said:
[...]

Yes, set CYGWIN=notty and then run python -i (to force it into
interactive mode)

David