Python 2.4.1 install broke RedHat 9 printconf-backend

BrianS

Hi,

I'm trying to learn Python and wanted to play with Tkinter. I couldn't
get it to work so I figured it would help if I installed the newest
verison of Python. I downloaded the source, compiled it and installed
it. No problem. The next time I booted my machine I the following
errors when it tried to start CUPS:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/sbin/printconf-backend", line 6, in ?
import backend
File "/usr/share/printconf/util/backend.py", line 37, in ?
import cups_import
File "/usr/share/printconf/util/cups_import.py", line 7, in ?
from printconf_conf import *
File "/usr/share/printconf/util/printconf_conf.py", line 83, in ?
from xml.utils import qp_xml
ImportError: No module named utils

It seems that the xml package have been changed. My problem is that I
don't know enough Python to fix it properly. The old verison of Python
was 2.2.2 and the
version I just installed is 2.4.1. This is on a Dell Inspiron 8500
running Red Hat 9.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Brian

Edward Diener

BrianS said:
[...]

Change the /usr/bin/python link from python2.4 to whatever version of python
exe it used to point to, probably python2.2 in your case. The Python2.4
install does not overwrite any of your python2.2 files, it just changes the
python link.

and-google

BrianS said:
File "/usr/share/printconf/util/printconf_conf.py", line 83, in ?
from xml.utils import qp_xml
ImportError: No module named utils
It seems that the xml package have been changed.

Not exactly. xml.utils is part of the XML processing package PyXML -
you don't get it in the cut-down XML stuff available in the standard
library.

You could try downloading and installing from http://pyxml.sf.net/.
Though I can't guarantee there won't be other problems as RedHat can be
very annoying like this. You might have to keep Python 2.2 around in
addition to 2.4 for RH's benefit; in any case trying to remove 2.2 will
probably lead you into an RPM dependency nightmare.