Python 2.4 / WinXP / distutils error (cookbook example)

Discussion in 'Python' started by magoldfish@yahoo.com, Mar 7, 2005.

    I've installed Python 2.4 on Windows XP and walked through the Alex
    Martelli ASPN cookbook example at:

    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/66509

    This is a recipe for a simple extension type for Python. When I try to
    build and install it, however, I get an error:

    c:\temp\el>python setup.py install
    running install
    running build
    running build_ext
    error: The .NET Framework SDK needs to be installed before
    building extensions for Python.

    I have Visual Studio .NET Professional installed.

    Thanks!
    Marcus
    , Mar 7, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > I have Visual Studio .NET Professional installed.

    There are several solutions, but one is to install Visual Studio .NET
    2003 (which is different from Visual Studio .NET, also referred to
    as VS.NET 2002). Microsoft managed to rename the C library (CRT) between
    2002 (msvcr7.dll) and 2003 (msvcr71.dll), and you need to make sure
    your extension uses the same CRT as the one used to build Python.

    Regards,
    Martin
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=, Mar 7, 2005

    Martin v. Löwis wrote:
    > There are several solutions, but one is to install Visual Studio .NET
    > 2003 (which is different from Visual Studio .NET, also referred to
    > as VS.NET 2002). Microsoft managed to rename the C library (CRT)

    between
    > 2002 (msvcr7.dll) and 2003 (msvcr71.dll), and you need to make sure
    > your extension uses the same CRT as the one used to build Python.

    Thanks Martin-- you pointed me in the right direction. I followed the
    instructions at

    http://www.vrplumber.com/programming/mstoolkit/index.html

    to modify my distutils and development environment to use the free
    Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit Compiler 2003. Reproducing the recipe
    result was straightforward from there.

    Marcus
    , Mar 8, 2005