Python 2.51 install on Vista "files in use"

Steve Mavronis

I tried to install Python 2.51 on Microsoft Vista Ultimate 32-bit because I
use the 3D modeler software Blender 2.44, in case I needed additional Python
support in the future for add-on scripts.

I got a warning about "files in use" during installation that needed
updating. I aborted the install since the files were Intel Viiv and
Microsoft Vista Media Center related so didn't want to mess them up. Can
someone explain why Python wants to update those files?

Thanks in advance...

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

Steve said:
I tried to install Python 2.51 on Microsoft Vista Ultimate 32-bit
because I use the 3D modeler software Blender 2.44, in case I needed
additional Python support in the future for add-on scripts.

I got a warning about "files in use" during installation that needed
updating. I aborted the install since the files were Intel Viiv and
Microsoft Vista Media Center related so didn't want to mess them up. Can
someone explain why Python wants to update those files?

I think you misinterpreted the message. It's not that Python wanted to
update Intel Viiv or Microsoft Vista Media Center; instead, it wants
to update files that are used both by Python and by these software
packages. Unfortunately, Microsoft installer does not put information
into the UI which specific files conflict.

About the only file I can imagine that both these software packages and
Python would use, and which Python might update, is the Microsoft C
runtime library, msvcr71.dll. If so, doing the update should be
harmless: the update is only performed when the version of the DLL that
comes with Python is more recent than the one installed on the sysem,
and Microsoft promises that the newer version will be fully compatible
with the older one.

Regards,
Martin