Python 3.0 migration plans?

Carsten Haese

[...]
For example, MySQL AB supports a Perl binding to MySQL, but not a
Python binding.

And what's your point, other than that apparently MySQL AB doesn't care
about Python?

Francesco Guerrieri

Correct me if I am wrong, but none of those examples showed something
in C++ similar to a decorator in Python - that is, unique syntax in
the language for implementing a Higher Order Function. One thing I
will say about those examples is that they make Python decorators look
sweet!

That is exactly one of the points in having decorators, as far as I
can tell. Namely, that higher order functions are easily implemented,
if and when needed.

Francesco

John Roth

I wondered if a straw poll could get some idea of readers' thoughts
about when they will be migrating to 3.0 on, so I used the new widget on
Blogger to add a poll for that.

I'd appreciate if if you would go to

http://holdenweb.blogspot.com/

and register your vote on your intended migration timescale.

Thanks!
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

Sorry, the dog ate my .sigline

I was thinking of starting work on converting Python FIT to 3.0, and
then they posted PEP 3137. I think it's a real good idea, but it shows
that 3.0a1 isn't ready for a conversion effort.

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3137/

I'll look at it again in a year or so.

John Roth

NickC

I was thinking of starting work on converting Python FIT to 3.0, and
then they posted PEP 3137. I think it's a real good idea, but it shows
that 3.0a1 isn't ready for a conversion effort.

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3137/

I'll look at it again in a year or so.

John Roth

When 3.0b1 comes out is probably the time to start looking seriously
at conversion. Until then, major course corrections (like PEP 3137)
will still be a possibility. Before the first beta, the best idea is
probably just to keep a watchful eye on the development to see if you
spot any show-stopper problems that might lead to the need for such a
course correction :)

Regards,
Nick.

Terry Reedy

| When 3.0b1 comes out is probably the time to start looking seriously
| at conversion. Until then, major course corrections (like PEP 3137)
| will still be a possibility. Before the first beta, the best idea is
| probably just to keep a watchful eye on the development to see if you
| spot any show-stopper problems that might lead to the need for such a
| course correction :)

It was people who did that, partly by trying to convert or write small
snippets of code, who found problems and persuaded Guido that PEP 3137 was
needed.

Alia Khouri

Couldn't agree with you more. What would be fantastic is if I could
drop into the Pypi (and/or use easy_install) and download
automatically compiled versions of extension modules for different
versions of python.

I'm sure the community at large would be happy to chip in an annual
fee to help build/maintain this infrastructure: I know my firm would.

PS: IMHO The growth of Ruby is, to a large extent, due to easy
installation of modules via its gem system...