Python 411.

Steve

Hi folks
New to the group.
As a newbie to Python I`d just like to plug Ron Stephens web site which
contains many excellent articles, podcasts and much Python stuff to
help beginners like me. No doubt many already use it and listen to his
weekly podcasts. http://www.awaretek.com/python/index.html
Cheers and many thanks Ron
Steve

Mike T

What exactly is 411 in this context? A reference to higher education
perhaps? Or perhaps part of the American constitution? What exactly?
Also for that matter what is 101?

Cheers,
Mike

Roel Schroeven

Mike T schreef:
What exactly is 411 in this context? A reference to higher education
perhaps? Or perhaps part of the American constitution? What exactly?
Also for that matter what is 101?

I don't know about 411, but 101 refers to basic or entry-level courses
at universities in the United States. I gathered something like that
from context after seeing many references to it; then I finally decided
to look it up to be sure about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/101_(number) under "In other fields".

Brian van den Broek

Mike T said unto the world upon 13/06/06 10:46 AM:
What exactly is 411 in this context? A reference to higher education
perhaps? Or perhaps part of the American constitution? What exactly?
Also for that matter what is 101?

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike,

411 is the number one dials in North America to reach directory
assistance (getting telephone numbers). So, it has a slang usage
meaning something like information. Introductory university course in
a field are often numbered 101 (i.e. Computer Science 101). So, that
number has acquired a slang meaning of basic and introductory information.

Where I did my undergrad studies, a few Departments had 001 classes.
Somehow that felt more honest ;-)

Best to all,

Brian vdB

Ganesan Rajagopal

Mike T said:
What exactly is 411 in this context? A reference to higher education
perhaps? Or perhaps part of the American constitution? What exactly?
Also for that matter what is 101?

It's a directory assistance number in the US. The site is a directory of
URLs.

Ganesan

Ron Stephens

Steve, thanks for the note. The name Python411 comes from me copying my
good friend Rob Walch, who named his podcast Podcast411, which is a
popular show on which he interviews other podcasters like Adam Curry
etc. He also has a book just published about podcasting.

Ron Stephens

Terry Reedy

Brian van den Broek said:
meaning something like information. Introductory university course in
a field are often numbered 101 (i.e. Computer Science 101). So, that
number has acquired a slang meaning of basic and introductory
information.

Where I did my undergrad studies, a few Departments had 001 classes.
Somehow that felt more honest ;-)

This is OT, but...
Course numbering varies by college/university, but I think typically 1xx,
2xx, 3xx, and 4xx are aimed at students in years 1, 2, 3, and 4 majoring in
that subject. Pre-100 courses would be remedial or aimed or even limited
to non-major students. So a Math department might have 023 Business Math
that would not count toward the math units needed to get a BS in math.

tjr

Steve Holden

Brian said:
Mike T said unto the world upon 13/06/06 10:46 AM:

Hi Mike,

411 is the number one dials in North America to reach directory
assistance (getting telephone numbers). So, it has a slang usage
meaning something like information. Introductory university course in
a field are often numbered 101 (i.e. Computer Science 101). So, that
number has acquired a slang meaning of basic and introductory information.

Where I did my undergrad studies, a few Departments had 001 classes.
Somehow that felt more honest ;-)
Surely 000 would have been more consistent ...

regards
Steve