    weekly podcasts. http://www.awaretek.com/python/index.html
    Cheers and many thanks Ron
    Steve
    Steve, Jun 12, 2006

  2. Steve

    Mike T Guest

    What exactly is 411 in this context? A reference to higher education
    perhaps? Or perhaps part of the American constitution? What exactly?
    Also for that matter what is 101?

    Cheers,
    Mike
    Mike T, Jun 13, 2006

  3. Mike T schreef:
    > What exactly is 411 in this context? A reference to higher education
    > perhaps? Or perhaps part of the American constitution? What exactly?
    > Also for that matter what is 101?

    I don't know about 411, but 101 refers to basic or entry-level courses
    at universities in the United States. I gathered something like that
    from context after seeing many references to it; then I finally decided
    to look it up to be sure about it:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/101_(number) under "In other fields".

    Roel Schroeven
    Roel Schroeven, Jun 13, 2006
  4. Mike T said unto the world upon 13/06/06 10:46 AM:
    > What exactly is 411 in this context? A reference to higher education
    > perhaps? Or perhaps part of the American constitution? What exactly?
    > Also for that matter what is 101?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Mike

    Hi Mike,

    411 is the number one dials in North America to reach directory
    assistance (getting telephone numbers). So, it has a slang usage
    meaning something like information. Introductory university course in
    a field are often numbered 101 (i.e. Computer Science 101). So, that
    number has acquired a slang meaning of basic and introductory information.

    Where I did my undergrad studies, a few Departments had 001 classes.
    Somehow that felt more honest ;-)

    Best to all,

    Brian vdB
    Brian van den Broek, Jun 13, 2006
  5. >>>>> Mike T <> writes:

    > What exactly is 411 in this context? A reference to higher education
    > perhaps? Or perhaps part of the American constitution? What exactly?
    > Also for that matter what is 101?

    It's a directory assistance number in the US. The site is a directory of
    URLs.

    Ganesan

    --
    Ganesan Rajagopal
    Ganesan Rajagopal, Jun 13, 2006
  6. Steve

    Ron Stephens Guest

    Steve, thanks for the note. The name Python411 comes from me copying my
    good friend Rob Walch, who named his podcast Podcast411, which is a
    popular show on which he interviews other podcasters like Adam Curry
    etc. He also has a book just published about podcasting.

    Ron Stephens
    Ron Stephens, Jun 13, 2006
  7. Steve

    Terry Reedy Guest

    "Brian van den Broek" <> wrote in message
    > meaning something like information. Introductory university course in
    > a field are often numbered 101 (i.e. Computer Science 101). So, that
    > number has acquired a slang meaning of basic and introductory
    > information.
    >
    > Where I did my undergrad studies, a few Departments had 001 classes.
    > Somehow that felt more honest ;-)

    This is OT, but...
    Course numbering varies by college/university, but I think typically 1xx,
    2xx, 3xx, and 4xx are aimed at students in years 1, 2, 3, and 4 majoring in
    that subject. Pre-100 courses would be remedial or aimed or even limited
    to non-major students. So a Math department might have 023 Business Math
    that would not count toward the math units needed to get a BS in math.

    tjr
    Terry Reedy, Jun 13, 2006
  8. Steve

    Steve Holden Guest

    Brian van den Broek wrote:
    > Mike T said unto the world upon 13/06/06 10:46 AM:
    >
    >>What exactly is 411 in this context? A reference to higher education
    >>perhaps? Or perhaps part of the American constitution? What exactly?
    >>Also for that matter what is 101?
    >>
    >>Cheers,
    >>Mike
    >>

    > Hi Mike,
    >
    > 411 is the number one dials in North America to reach directory
    > assistance (getting telephone numbers). So, it has a slang usage
    > meaning something like information. Introductory university course in
    > a field are often numbered 101 (i.e. Computer Science 101). So, that
    > number has acquired a slang meaning of basic and introductory information.
    >
    > Where I did my undergrad studies, a few Departments had 001 classes.
    > Somehow that felt more honest ;-)

    Surely 000 would have been more consistent ...

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +44 150 684 7255 +1 800 494 3119
    Love me, love my blog http://holdenweb.blogspot.com
    Steve Holden, Jun 13, 2006