    does not understand that.

    Thanks for the help,

    Ravi

    Ravi, Jul 23, 2003

  2. Ravi

    Trent Mick Guest

    [Tim Peters wrote]
    > Note that all current Windows installers from PythonLabs install code
    > compiled with VC6...

    As do all ActivePython Windows packages.

    Trent

    --
    Trent Mick

    Trent Mick, Jul 23, 2003

  3. Ravi

    Marc Wilson Guest

    In comp.lang.python, "Tim Peters" <> (Tim Peters)
    wrote in <>::

    |[Ravi]
    |> Has anyone tried building Python with VC++.NET? Does it work or fail
    |> horribly like I think it will.
    |
    |Yes, several people have built it that way, and it works fine. You can get
    |into obscure kinds of trouble if you try to mix code compiled with VC6 and
    |VC7, though, because the C runtime systems are distinct (so, e.g.,
    |malloc()ing memory in one runtime and free()ing it in another, or passing
    |FILE* thingies across them, can lead to subtle-- or instantly
    |catastrophic --problems).
    |
    |Note that all current Windows installers from PythonLabs install code
    |compiled with VC6, and the same will be true for 2.3 final (due out next
    |week). It also seems that 3rd-party extension modules compiled with VC7 are
    |still hard to come by.
    |
    |> My boss seems to think it is good to have programs that are in managed
    |> code because it is more 'portable'. Not that there's another complete
    |> .NET runtime besides Microsoft's but he does not understand that.
    |
    |If you're younger than him, you can reasonably hope to outlive him <wink>.
    |
    |alas-it's-not-a-strategy-that-works-your-whole-career-ly y'rs - tim

    As they say, science advances, funeral by funeral.
    --
    Marc Wilson

    Cleopatra Consultants Limited - IT Consultants
    2 The Grange, Cricklade Street, Old Town, Swindon SN1 3HG
    Tel: (44/0) 70-500-15051 Fax: (44/0) 870 164-0054
    Mail: Web: http://www.cleopatra.co.uk
    Try MailTraq at https://my.mailtraq.com/register.asp?code=cleopatra

    Marc Wilson, Jul 24, 2003