Python application distribution

ron.longo

I haven't figured out a way to do this but see no reason why it cannot be
done. I have a decent size application written in 100% Python. I would
like to distribute this application, but only the .pyc files. Since the
..pyc's are just the compiled sources I figured it would work, but if I copy
just the pyc's and my main app's py into a directory by themselves, I'm
unable to execute. Why is this? At this point I'm not really keen on
handing out the source files to my application, it feels unprofessional.

Thanks,
Ron

Martin v. Löwis

I haven't figured out a way to do this but see no reason why it cannot be
done. I have a decent size application written in 100% Python. I would
like to distribute this application, but only the .pyc files. Since the
.pyc's are just the compiled sources I figured it would work, but if I copy
just the pyc's and my main app's py into a directory by themselves, I'm
unable to execute. Why is this?

This should work fine. What precisely are you doing to execute it, and
how precisely does it fail?
At this point I'm not really keen on
handing out the source files to my application, it feels unprofessional.

I don't consider it unprofessional. If the software is packaged that
the end user readily notices the difference - that's unprofessional.
IOW, unless the user browsers your app's directory, he shouldn't even
have to know that the application is written in Python.

Regards,
Martin

Terry Reedy

The syllable link at the bottem is not currently working.
The site itself is still alive and distributing 2.5.1
terry

Ville M. Vainio

ron.longo said:
unable to execute. Why is this? At this point I'm not really keen on
handing out the source files to my application, it feels unprofessional.

If you plan to deploy on windows, py2exe could be the more
"professional" approach you are thinking of.

Ville M. Vainio