python doc available in emacs info format?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Xah Lee, Aug 17, 2009.

  1. Xah Lee

    Xah Lee Guest

    btw, is there still info format for python doc?

    i feel kinda sad that emacs info format has pretty much been
    deprecated over the past decade. About a decade ago, you still will
    see now and then people asking for emacs info format of docs (was the
    days of perl). Today, one don't hear of it.

    Part of this is due to emacs cult problem. See:

    • Emacs Modernization
    http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_modernization.html

    • Emacs Should Adopt HTML To Replace Texinfo
    http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization_html_vs_info.html

    • Language, Purity, Cult, and Deception
    http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/lang_purity_cult_deception.html

    Xah
    ∑ http://xahlee.org/

    ☄

    Xah Lee, Aug 17, 2009

  2. Xah Lee

    Xah Lee Guest

    info format for Xah Lee writes:
    > in programing elisp in emacs, i can press “Ctrl+h f†to lookup
    > the doc for the function under cursor. is there such facility
    > when coding in perl, python, php?

    On Dec 11 2008, 6:56 am, Matthias <> wrote:
    > Yes, try C-h S (or similarly <f1> S):

    > (info-lookup-symbol SYMBOL &optional MODE) Display the
    > definition of SYMBOL, as found in the relevant manual. When this
    > command is called interactively, it reads SYMBOL from the
    > minibuffer.

    > Note that `the relevant manual' means an info file. With recent
    > emacsen on an Ubuntu distro, python arrives with info files and
    > everything is well configured. It also works with bash, latex, perl,
    > scheme, elisp, awk, texinfo, makefile, libc, or any info file with an

    I noticed that Matthias actually mentioned that info docs is available
    and bundled out of the box on Ubuntu linux for many popular langs, as
    of 2008-12.

    Is that true? Where can i download these info files? As far as i know,
    a little google search or official doc sites usually don't have a
    download for info format.

    I'm interested in getting current version doc for perl, python, php,
    and ruby.

    Thanks.

    Xah
    ∑ http://xahlee.org/

    ☄
    Xah Lee, Aug 17, 2009

  3. Xah Lee wrote:
    > btw, is there still info format for python doc?
    >
    > i feel kinda sad that emacs info format has pretty much been
    > deprecated over the past decade. About a decade ago, you still will
    > see now and then people asking for emacs info format of docs (was the
    > days of perl). Today, one don't hear of it.
    >
    > Part of this is due to emacs cult problem. See:

    Xah,

    Please do not slag off a project if you want people to help;
    it tends to put the goat up.

    It is not "Emacs Info" format, it is FSF Info format.
    There is a stand-alone program to read the Info documentation.
    The program is called "info".

    Ubuntu maintains a package search site, it is on
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/

    However, there seems to be no files named
    python.*info (regexp)

    There is a
    python-docutils package
    which does contain information in several
    other formats.

    This package can be found either via the above site
    or using "apt-cache search python-doc".

    As "info" is a FSF format, all FSF produced programs
    will provide documentation in this format. However Python
    is not under the auspices of the FSF, so does not need to use
    this format.

    BTW,
    HTML versions of INFO documentation can be generated by
    info2html or info_to_html on them, or texi2html on the source.

    Have a nice day,
    Colin S. Miller
    Colin S. Miller, Aug 17, 2009
  4. "Colin S. Miller" <> writes:

    [...]

    > Ubuntu maintains a package search site, it is on
    > http://packages.ubuntu.com/
    >
    > However, there seems to be no files named
    > python.*info (regexp)

    And yet there are info files in python2.5-doc:
    <http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/all/python2.5-doc/filelist>.

    [...]
    Bruce Stephens, Aug 17, 2009
  5. Xah Lee

    Xah Lee Guest

    > Please do not slag off a project if you want people to help;
    > it tends to put the goat up.

    a healthy community needs both positive comment as well as negative to
    grow.

    emacs's user base has been rotting off from i estimate more than 50%
    of programers to less that 1% today.

    the particular observation about info doc in this thread is a specific
    example.

    You can help FSF and emacs to improve, by, for example, trying to help
    it to evolve with the rapidly changing computing industry, In this
    case, document formats, provided if you see some of my points as
    valid. Or, at least consider this eroding awareness of the gnu info
    format among average programers worth discussing. No disrespect to
    you, but dismissing it as “troll†or similiar sentiment is not
    helpful.

    emacs community is too much cult and pride. FSF and its product the
    GNU was highly successful in the 1980 and 1990s, with its gcc, emacs,
    and slew of gnu version of unix tools. A significant part of the
    reason is because these products at the time is truely better products
    in comparison to existing ones, that there are almost no substitute.
    Today, for many variety and complexity of reasons, almost none of this
    is true, except possiblly a few such as gcc and GPG. The unix shells
    ways and sed, awk, etc tools has largely been replaced by perl,
    python, ruby etc, partly due to the changing nature of computing. For
    GCC itself, and make, yacc, bison etc there are tens of competiting
    products either commercial or open source. Then there's Java, with its
    entire suite of tools and libs, and there are tens of truely quality
    languages out there today other then the ones that GCC can handle.

    emacs 23, although is fantastic to us emacs fans, but if you look
    carefully at its feature list, most of it is widely in commericial
    software about 10 years ago.

    Xah
    ∑ http://xahlee.org/

    ☄

    On Aug 17, 4:32 am, "Colin S. Miller" <no-spam-

    Xah Lee, Aug 17, 2009
  6. Xah Lee

    A.Politz Guest

    On Aug 17, 6:43 am, Xah Lee <> wrote:
    > btw, is there still [no] info format for python doc?
    >
    > i feel kinda sad [...]
    > Part of this is due to [other peoples fault]

    Someone started a rst2info project (google it), maybe you want to help
    this guy out.

    Though, he might be a techgeeker, so watch out !

    -ap
    A.Politz, Aug 19, 2009
  7. Xah Lee

    Nathan Keel Guest

    A.Politz wrote:

    > On Aug 17, 6:43 am, Xah Lee <> wrote:
    >> btw, is there still [no] info format for python doc?
    >>
    >> i feel kinda sad [...]
    >> Part of this is due to [other peoples fault]

    > Someone started a rst2info project (google it), maybe you want to help
    > this guy out.
    >
    > Though, he might be a techgeeker, so watch out !
    >
    > -ap

    Don't bother with this Xah Lee clown. He posts random crap because he
    thinks everyone wants to hear what he has to say about unrelated
    subject material and thinks he looks smart for doing it. Unfortunately,
    he usually lacks a clue about any topic he brings up (and he always
    starts a new thread like he's some authority). His goals are nothing
    more than to post arrogant, clueless rants thinking he's showing off.
    this is why he ALWAYS cross posts to the same groups (Emacs, Python,,
    Perl, etc.), even when the topic or content has nothing to do with
    those things. He thinks people in these groups automatically respect
    him, when most have killfiled him.
    Nathan Keel, Aug 20, 2009