python gui builders

sturlamolden

If it's an issue for your project, I suggest wxPython.  It's
cross-platform, fairly complete, and extensible.  But the API is
clunky compared to Qt.

Not if we use wxFormBuilder 3.1.

sturlamolden

wxWidgets (the C++ library) has support for a lot of things other than
UI bits, as well. wxPython itself is mainly a GUI library because the
additional features of wxWidgets in C++ are redundant in Python.

That is true. Nobody uses wxPython for socket programming in Python.

Qt is also much more than a C++ GUI framework, but in Python it's
mainly (only?) used for GUI.

Simon Hibbs

Wouldn't it be nice
if each fan of some form of GUI-package,
would post it's code (and resulting images) for generating one or two
standard GUI-forms ?

Then everyone can judge the differences,
and see what's simple and not  so simple !!

I don't think a list like this is a great way to do that. There are
plenty of examples and tutorials available for each option.

Simon Hibbs

sturlamolden

With that said, for various reasons I still prefer wxPython to Qt, and
at the moment, find wxFormBuilder the best fit for my own designs
(even before the direct Python support, just using XRC).

Personally I prefer wxFormBuilder over QtDesigner for sizer-based
designs.

For quickly creating mock-up designs (GUI or web) there is a Windows
program called "DesignerVista".

Stef Mientki

Shawn said:
It's not quite all encompassing, but I found this link last year when
looking for a similar comparison of Python GUIs:
http://ginstrom.com/scribbles/2008/02/26/python-gui-programming-platforms-for-windows/

Tkinter, Qt, GTK, IronPython... I think the only thing missing is
Jython w/ Swing or SWT. Check it out.
Instead of "*hello* world" examples, I was thinking of "*real* world"
applications,
something like this,
http://mientki.ruhosting.nl/data_www/pylab_works/random_gui.html
which in a good GUI package should be doable in about 100 lines of code.

cheers,
Stef