Python in a nutshell - new edition ?

Helmut Jarausch

Hi,

is there a new edition of "Python in a Nutshell"
covering Python 2.5 coming soon?

Many thanks,

Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

Alex Martelli

Helmut Jarausch said:
is there a new edition of "Python in a Nutshell"
covering Python 2.5 coming soon?

Yep, we're still aiming for OSCON '06 (Portland, end of July). The
coverage centers on 2.4, with mentions of what was changed in that
version (to make the book usable for 2.3) and in 2.5 -- since the
writing had to stop by March (after that it's copyediting, indexing,
etc), I couldn't really cover the substantial additions to the standard
library in 2.5 (ctypes, etree, pysqlite, &c), but language-proper
changes &c (with statement, new functionality in generators, new-style
exception classes, ...) I think I managed to cover adequately... but,
let's wait for the reviews!-)

Alex

BartlebyScrivener

Yep, we're still aiming for OSCON '06 (Portland, end of July).

Amazon says July 1st.

http://tinyurl.com/js5ky

I have some experience in these matters, which makes me think that
you're right, and Amazon is wrong. ;)

I'll post when my preordered copy arrives.

rd
www.dooling.com

vbgunz

Let me assure you that it _won't_ be on paper this coming Saturday (two
days from now).

I am absolutely certain it will be worth the wait. The Python in a
Nutshell book that covers 2.2 is so well written, it's practically
amazing the author was able to cram so much in so little space.
Although I wish a bit more detailed examples were part of the book it
undoubtedly does it's job as the perfect desktop reference. I'll get
the latest and maybe donate my 2.2 to the local library. I hope Alex
doesn't mind :)

John Salerno

Alex said:
Let me assure you that it _won't_ be on paper this coming Saturday (two
days from now).

Alex

Doh! I had just noticed this yesterday on Amazon and was all set to head
to the bookstore and get it this weekend! :)

Alex Martelli

John Salerno said:
Doh! I had just noticed this yesterday on Amazon and was all set to head
to the bookstore and get it this weekend! :)

Glad to have saved you a trip;-).

End of July is our aggressive but still-achievable target: everything
was scheduled from the start to hit OSCON '06 (and the release of Python
2.5 -- whether 2.5 final will be out at OSCON is still uncertain,
though).

Alex

John Salerno

Alex said:
End of July is our aggressive but still-achievable target: everything
was scheduled from the start to hit OSCON '06 (and the release of Python
2.5 -- whether 2.5 final will be out at OSCON is still uncertain,
though).

I guess we can be patient a little longer. :) I had originally thought
it wasn't due until the fall, so even the end of July is good news.

I'm unusually excited about this book for some reason. wxPython In
Action will have to keep me busy until then!