    Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
    RWTH - Aachen University
    D 52056 Aachen, Germany
    Helmut Jarausch, Jun 28, 2006

  2. Helmut Jarausch <> wrote:

    > is there a new edition of "Python in a Nutshell"
    > covering Python 2.5 coming soon?

    Yep, we're still aiming for OSCON '06 (Portland, end of July). The
    coverage centers on 2.4, with mentions of what was changed in that
    version (to make the book usable for 2.3) and in 2.5 -- since the
    writing had to stop by March (after that it's copyediting, indexing,
    etc), I couldn't really cover the substantial additions to the standard
    library in 2.5 (ctypes, etree, pysqlite, &c), but language-proper
    changes &c (with statement, new functionality in generators, new-style
    exception classes, ...) I think I managed to cover adequately... but,
    let's wait for the reviews!-)

    Alex
    Alex Martelli, Jun 29, 2006

  3. >> Yep, we're still aiming for OSCON '06 (Portland, end of July).

    Amazon says July 1st.

    http://tinyurl.com/js5ky

    I have some experience in these matters, which makes me think that
    you're right, and Amazon is wrong. ;)

    I'll post when my preordered copy arrives.

    rd
    www.dooling.com
    BartlebyScrivener, Jun 29, 2006
  4. BartlebyScrivener <> wrote:

    > >> Yep, we're still aiming for OSCON '06 (Portland, end of July).

    > Amazon says July 1st.

    Let me assure you that it _won't_ be on paper this coming Saturday (two
    days from now).

    Alex
    Alex Martelli, Jun 29, 2006
  5. Helmut Jarausch

    vbgunz Guest

    > Let me assure you that it _won't_ be on paper this coming Saturday (two
    > days from now).

    I am absolutely certain it will be worth the wait. The Python in a
    Nutshell book that covers 2.2 is so well written, it's practically
    amazing the author was able to cram so much in so little space.
    Although I wish a bit more detailed examples were part of the book it
    undoubtedly does it's job as the perfect desktop reference. I'll get
    the latest and maybe donate my 2.2 to the local library. I hope Alex
    doesn't mind :)
    vbgunz, Jun 29, 2006
  6. Helmut Jarausch

    John Salerno Guest

    Alex Martelli wrote:

    >> Amazon says July 1st.

    > Let me assure you that it _won't_ be on paper this coming Saturday (two
    > days from now).
    >

    > Alex

    Doh! I had just noticed this yesterday on Amazon and was all set to head
    to the bookstore and get it this weekend! :)
    John Salerno, Jun 29, 2006
  7. John Salerno <> wrote:

    > Alex Martelli wrote:

    > >> Amazon says July 1st.

    > > Let me assure you that it _won't_ be on paper this coming Saturday (two
    > > days from now).
    > >

    > > Alex

    > Doh! I had just noticed this yesterday on Amazon and was all set to head
    > to the bookstore and get it this weekend! :)

    Glad to have saved you a trip;-).

    End of July is our aggressive but still-achievable target: everything
    was scheduled from the start to hit OSCON '06 (and the release of Python
    2.5 -- whether 2.5 final will be out at OSCON is still uncertain,
    though).

    Alex
    Alex Martelli, Jun 29, 2006
  8. Helmut Jarausch

    John Salerno Guest

    Alex Martelli wrote:

    > End of July is our aggressive but still-achievable target: everything
    > was scheduled from the start to hit OSCON '06 (and the release of Python
    > 2.5 -- whether 2.5 final will be out at OSCON is still uncertain,
    > though).

    I guess we can be patient a little longer. :) I had originally thought
    it wasn't due until the fall, so even the end of July is good news.

    I'm unusually excited about this book for some reason. wxPython In
    Action will have to keep me busy until then!
    John Salerno, Jun 29, 2006