python interface to Firefox and Thunderbird

yardennis

Hi,

I need python moudles that can

auto install python 2.5 (web install or a EXE file)

auto download and install Firefox3 and Thunderbird 2
auto import from IE 6, 7 and OE 5,6 and Outlook

read contacts and emails from Thunderbird store
read Firefox 3 bookmarks, history, cookies and password

Can anyone point to a open source solution ?

If you know of any freelancer that can help me develop the module
please let me know.

Thanks

Dennis
yardennis at gmail dot com

yardennis

The reason you haven't gotten any responses is that you didn't provide adequate
information>

You didn't say what O/S, so I have to guess that since you said Outlook it must
be windows.

- Auto download and install FF3/TB2.  Why?  Dowload the installers and put them
somewhere (CD/ROM, Flash Drive, etc) , then write a batch file that installs them.

- Auto download and install Python.  Same as FF/TB.  Get setup.exe from
ActiveState Python.

- Auto import from IE 6, 7 and OE 5,6 and Outlook.  Auto import what into what?
Is OE Outlook Express?  What do you want to import and what are you importing into?

- Read contacts and emails from Thunderbird store.  Why?  Wouldn't it be easier
to read them from the POP3/IMAP server?

- Read Firefox 3 bookmarks, history, cookies and password.  There are plug-ins
that allow you to export these items (at least bookmarks and passwords).
History/cookies can be easily cleared by the users.  If you want to monitor
sites visited, there are better ways.

As you can see we will need to know more about what you are trying to accomplish
to help more.

-Larry

Larry,

Thanks for your post. Sorry for not making myself clear.

I am building for Windows first then porting to OSX and Linux later

What I need is a webinstaller or a exe file then will start
downloading Python 2.5, Firefox 3 and Thunderbird 2 and install them
into a different dir from the default install. (To prevent version
conflict)

A python script will :

using Firefox3 import feature - import all available settings from
Internet Explorer 6, 7 into Firefox 3 (password, cookies, favorites,
history)

using Thunderbird 2 import feature - import from outlook express 5,6
and Outlook into Thunderbird 2 (emails, pop, smtp, imap settings,
password, contacts)

I need python modules

to read the contacts and emails in Thunderbird 2
to create new contacts and send emails in Thunderbird 2 (just added
this)

to read the history, cookies, bookmarks, passwords stored in Firefox 3
with the cookie/password get selected web pages with urlib/urlib2
(just added this too)

These python modules will be used by a CMS(KPAX) running under web2py.

It will be good to use existing open source modules.

I am also prepared to engage a freelancer to help me develop the
modules

Thanks

Dennis