    Athon is a good candidate, you could provide better names.

    In Athon, the first letter "A" could pronounce as [ e ] .
    , Nov 30, 2007

  2. wrote:
    > Python is a good programming language, but "Python" is not a good
    > name.
    >
    > First, python also means snake, Monty Python. If we search "python" in
    > google, emule, many results are not programming resource. If we search
    > PHP, all results are programming resource.
    >
    > Second, python also means snake, snake is not a good thing in western
    > culture. Many people dislike any things relevant to snake. We must
    > have high regard for the custom.
    >
    > Now, python3000 is coming. It's the best time to rename!
    >
    > Athon is a good candidate, you could provide better names.
    >
    > In Athon, the first letter "A" could pronounce as [ e ] .

    Great, now the Google results will just be filled with AMD typoes. :p

    One downside of Athon is that "Python" makes for a good two-letter
    abbreviation: py. It sounds nice (hey, pie), and since it ends in a
    vowel, is good for project names: PyGTK or pytz or whatever. AtGTK and
    attz don't have quite the ring.
    Matt Nordhoff, Nov 30, 2007

  3. wrote:

    >Python is a good programming language, but "Python" is not a good
    >name.
    >
    >First, python also means snake, Monty Python. If we search "python" in
    >google, emule, many results are not programming resource. If we search
    >PHP, all results are programming resource.
    >
    >Second, python also means snake, snake is not a good thing in western
    >culture. Many people dislike any things relevant to snake. We must
    >have high regard for the custom.
    >
    >Now, python3000 is coming. It's the best time to rename!
    >
    >Athon is a good candidate, you could provide better names.
    >
    >In Athon, the first letter "A" could pronounce as [ e ] .

    You will be eaten by the Snake-Ra god tonight!
    Gerardo Herzig, Nov 30, 2007
  4. On 2007-11-30, <> wrote:

    > In Athon, the first letter "A" could pronounce as [ e ] .

    For English speakers that pronunciation is just plain wrong.

    You're trolling, right?

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! As President I have
    at to go vacuum my coin
    Grant Edwards, Nov 30, 2007
  5. Tim Chase Guest

    >> In Athon, the first letter "A" could pronounce as [ e ] .
    >
    > For English speakers that pronunciation is just plain wrong.
    >
    > You're trolling, right?

    Yeth, obviouthly he ith... ;)

    (You'd think this was the Lisp ML, not Python... <groans>)

    -tkc
    Tim Chase, Nov 30, 2007
  6. Tim Couper Guest

    Re: Re: "Python" is not a good name, should rename to "Athon"

    but it would mean that a version for large duration projects would be
    "MarAthon" ...

    Dr Tim Couper
    CTO, SciVisum Ltd

    www.scivisum.com

    Tim Couper, Nov 30, 2007
  7. Tim Chase wrote:
    > (You'd think this was the Lisp ML, not Python... <groans>)

    Atsp? :)
    Matt Nordhoff, Nov 30, 2007
  8. Tim Golden Guest

    Tim Couper wrote:
    > but it would mean that a version for large duration projects would be
    > "MarAthon" ...

    Can't decide whether you were deliberately avoiding "long-running"
    there, Tim, or just missed the opportunity :)

    TJG
    Tim Golden, Nov 30, 2007
  9. Dan Upton Guest

    On Nov 30, 2007 11:17 AM, Matt Nordhoff <> wrote:
    > Tim Chase wrote:
    > > (You'd think this was the Lisp ML, not Python... <groans>)

    > Atsp? :)
    > --

    Athp? Wait, no, Microsoft already claimed that one...
    Dan Upton, Nov 30, 2007
  10. wrote:
    > First, python also means snake, Monty Python. If we search
    > "python" in google, emule, many results are not programming
    > resource. If we search PHP, all results are programming resource.

    Who cares? No one looking for special Python programming tips will
    use only "python" as search term.

    > Second, python also means snake, snake is not a good thing in
    > western culture. Many people dislike any things relevant to snake.
    > We must have high regard for the custom.

    You're not serious, are you?

    BTW, PHP has already been confused with a drug in USA.

    > Now, python3000 is coming. It's the best time to rename!

    IMHO: No. Python has a good reputation and renaming would create
    confusion.

    > Athon is a good candidate, you could provide better names.
    >
    > In Athon, the first letter "A" could pronounce as [ e ] .

    This is confusing and a boring of-the-shelf name.

    Regards,

    Björn

    --
    BOFH excuse #399:

    We are a 100% Microsoft Shop.
    Bjoern Schliessmann, Nov 30, 2007
  11. On Nov 30, 9:58 am, wrote:
    > Now, python3000 is coming. It's the best time to rename!

    Yes, but "Thong" would be a better name,
    due to the minimalist syntax and the
    attraction/repulsion/catatonic revulsion effect it has with
    different people from different cultural backgrounds.
    -- Aaron Watters
    ===
    http://www.xfeedme.com/nucular/pydistro.py/go?FREETEXT=nasty reasons
    Aaron Watters, Nov 30, 2007
  12. John Machin Guest

    On Dec 1, 1:58 am, wrote:
    > Python is a good programming language, but "Python" is not a good
    > name.
    >
    > First, python also means snake, Monty Python. If we search "python" in
    > google, emule, many results are not programming resource. If we search
    > PHP, all results are programming resource.
    >
    > Second, python also means snake, snake is not a good thing in western
    > culture. Many people dislike any things relevant to snake. We must
    > have high regard for the custom.

    Pythons are good snakes; they hypnotise the meaninglessly chattering
    bandarlog and eat them. Beware!
    John Machin, Dec 1, 2007
  13. greg Guest

    wrote:
    > If we search "python" in
    > google, emule, many results are not programming resource.

    Have you actually tried this? When I do a google search
    for "python", the very *first* result I get is "Python
    Programming Language - Official Website".

    Also, out of the first 10 results, 7 are about the
    Python language, and only 3 are about snakes.

    Results are likely to be even better if you include
    something programming-related along with "python".

    > Second, python also means snake, snake is not a good thing in western
    > culture.

    Not necessarily. A python is a sleek and powerful
    creature, which are good associations for a programming
    language. The word also hints at a bit of danger and
    excitement. On the whole, I think it's a good name.

    --
    Greg
    greg, Dec 1, 2007
  14. Basilisk96 Guest

    Matt Nordhoff <> wrote:
    <..snip..>
    > Great, now the Google results will just be filled with AMD typoes. :p

    Clever! But "typoes" is a typo :p

    From m-w.com:

    typo
    Function:
    noun
    Inflected Form(s):
    plural: typos
    Etymology:
    short for typographical (error)
    Date:
    1878
    : an error (as of spelling) in typed or typeset material

    ===========================
    But seriously guys (and gals, if any?), this has to be the most
    senseless thread I have seen..
    tum-dee-dum...
    the OP must have been "counting flowers on the wall"...

    If the OP's advice is to be followed - what shall we do, pray tell,
    with the names of all the existing lovely libraries and apps that we
    are so used to? Surely they all have to be changed over to keep up
    with such progress?!

    Numpy => NumAth?
    wxPython => wxAthon?
    PyAlaMode => AthAlaMode?
    etc.

    FWIW, an ASP is also a snake...but that's another discussion. Shall we
    start one? I think NOT..

    This has been an entertaining break from the ordinary, but let's get
    back to something more useful.

    Cheers,
    -Basilisk96
    Basilisk96, Dec 1, 2007
  15. Russ P. Guest

    On Nov 30, 6:58 am, wrote:
    > Python is a good programming language, but "Python" is not a good
    > name.

    I agree that Python is not a good name for a programming language, but
    I'm afraid we're stuck with it.

    If I had invented Python, I would have called it Newton or Euler,
    arguably the greatest scientist and mathematician ever, respectively.
    Then again, if pigs could fly ...

    Speaking of stupid names, what does "C++" mean? I think it's the grade
    you get when you just barely missed a "B--". But I can't deny that it
    *is* good for searching.
    Russ P., Dec 1, 2007

    Pytn

    New name "Pytn" may be better, do you think so ?
    , Dec 1, 2007
  17. "John Machin" <sj...exicon.net> wrote:

    > Pythons are good snakes; they hypnotise the meaninglessly chattering
    > bandarlog and eat them. Beware!

    What is a bandarlog - I know the bandersnatch and the boojum, but
    bandarlog?

    If it is something you can knit -
    If I get you the wool, will you make me one?

    - Hendrik
    Hendrik van Rooyen, Dec 1, 2007
  18. John Machin Guest

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandar-log
    John Machin, Dec 1, 2007
  19. At one stage, "Monty Python's Flying Circus" was going to be called
    "Owl Stretching Time".

    If that had eventuated, then presumably we would all be disussing the Owl
    programming language on comp.lang.owl

    --
    Real email address? Rule 1.
    Rod Stephenson, Dec 1, 2007
  20. Russ P. wrote:
    > I agree that Python is not a good name for a programming language,

    Why not?

    BTW, is "Windows" a great name for an operating system?

    > If I had invented Python, I would have called it Newton or Euler,
    > arguably the greatest scientist and mathematician ever,
    > respectively. Then again, if pigs could fly ...

    Really "unique" names; the OP wouldn't be happy about it when using
    google ;)

    > Speaking of stupid names, what does "C++" mean?

    It's "C incremented".

    > I think it's the grade you get when you just barely missed
    > a "B--".

    So what dou you think about D language? :) Or F or F#?

    Regards,

    Björn

    --
    BOFH excuse #302:

    microelectronic Riemannian curved-space fault in write-only file
    system
    Bjoern Schliessmann, Dec 1, 2007