Python on win64

Discussion in 'Python' started by Mauro Cicognini, Oct 27, 2003.

  1. Hi to everybody,
    please forgive me if what I'm asking is obvious but I couldn't really
    find out any good pointers in a few hours of googling on the python site
    and related places.

    The question is: Does anyone have any advice on how to build Python on
    win64 boxes?

    We know it _is_ possible after we found Martin von Loewis's cool
    installer. The only catch is, we don't know how he got there :-(

    I'm asking 'cause we recently got an Itanium machine with Windows Server
    2003 on it and started looking on how to port some of our stuff to it.
    However, since there's no MS IDE for win64, the only way to build Python
    would be to use the SDK, but that needs makefiles and those would need
    to be exported from the MSVC project files, with no guarantee of success.

    Besides, we'd need to have some other windows things there, and we have
    few clues on how to proceed, so if anyone has any pointers we'd be very
    thankful.

    Thanks a lot in advance,

    Mauro Cicognini
    Siosistemi S.p.A., Italy
    Mauro Cicognini, Oct 27, 2003

  2. Mauro Cicognini

    Trent Mick Guest

    [Mauro Cicognini wrote]
    > I'm asking 'cause we recently got an Itanium machine with Windows Server
    > 2003 on it and started looking on how to port some of our stuff to it.
    > However, since there's no MS IDE for win64, the only way to build Python
    > would be to use the SDK, but that needs makefiles and those would need
    > to be exported from the MSVC project files, with no guarantee of success.

    That is what I do: use the SDK to cross-build for Win64 on Win32 using
    exported makefile from the MSVC .dsp files. For Python 2.2 at least I
    found that everything but the _tkinter and winsound extensions worked
    find.

    Trent

    --
    Trent Mick
    Trent Mick, Oct 27, 2003

  3. Mauro Cicognini wrote:

    > The question is: Does anyone have any advice on how to build Python on
    > win64 boxes?
    >
    > We know it _is_ possible after we found Martin von Loewis's cool
    > installer. The only catch is, we don't know how he got there :-(

    Like Trent says: Export the makefiles in VC6. Then, you have to massage
    them manually, i.e. replacing all /machine:x86 by /machine:ia64 or some
    such. You also have to remove libraries that aren't there in the Win64
    SDK.

    > I'm asking 'cause we recently got an Itanium machine with Windows Server
    > 2003 on it and started looking on how to port some of our stuff to it.
    > However, since there's no MS IDE for win64, the only way to build Python
    > would be to use the SDK, but that needs makefiles and those would need
    > to be exported from the MSVC project files, with no guarantee of success.

    Strictly speaking, this is not true: you don't actually *need* the
    makefiles. You could instead perform all necessary compiler invocations
    manually.

    Also, I advise against building on Win64: The SDK compiler is an x86
    application, and those are awfully slow when executed on Itanium. So
    it is faster to build on x86, and carry over the binaries.

    An alternative might be to use the Intel compiler, which is a native
    Itanium binary.

    > Besides, we'd need to have some other windows things there, and we have
    > few clues on how to proceed, so if anyone has any pointers we'd be very
    > thankful.

    You might want to take a look at Peter Tröger's "Visual Studio External
    Compiler" project, at sf.net/projects/vsextcomp. It allows to derive
    Win64 targets from VC7.1 Win32 projects, using the SDK compiler. Using
    that technology, the procedure is:

    1. convert the VC6 project files to VC7
    2. for each project, for both the debug and the release target,
    create a parallel debug64 and release64 target, using the new item
    in the Tools menu.

    With that approach, you can run the entire build process inside VC7.1.
    The intention is to extend this beyond Win64-Itanium-SDK-compiler;
    feedback and patches are welcome (e.g. it should be possible to put
    triple-projects, including AMD64, into place, once the SDK supports
    AMD64).

    I'm using this to eliminate all the size_t warnings in Python, which
    I hope to contribute for 2.4 once completed.

    As for generating an MSI file at the end: please don't ask me -
    atleast not unless you know what orca.exe is :)

    Regards,
    Martin
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=, Oct 28, 2003