    was about it.

    http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/data...mparing-python-and-powershell-dba-scripting-/

    , Jan 8, 2008

  2. Hallöchen!

    writes:

    > I am all about using the right tool for the right purposes, [...]

    Which purpose?

    > I dug up one article from Google that talked about comparison but
    > that was about it.
    >
    > http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/data...mparing-python-and-powershell-dba-scripting-/

    This comparison is about a very narrow field; additionally, it is a
    field PowerShell was optimised for.

    Tschö,
    Torsten.

    Jabber ID:
    (See http://ime.webhop.org for further contact info.)

    Torsten Bronger, Jan 8, 2008

  3. Torsten Bronger wrote:
    > Hallöchen!
    >
    > writes:
    >
    >> I am all about using the right tool for the right purposes, [...]

    > Which purpose?
    >
    >> I dug up one article from Google that talked about comparison but
    >> that was about it.
    >>
    >> http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/data...mparing-python-and-powershell-dba-scripting-/

    > This comparison is about a very narrow field; additionally, it is a
    > field PowerShell was optimised for.
    >
    > Tschö,
    > Torsten.

    And adding to that, if you don't care about cross platform anyway, why
    even bother with python? I am sure that MS has tools that can do in a
    point and click kind of way all the things you might encounter.

    --
    mph

    Martin P. Hellwig, Jan 8, 2008

    On Jan 8, 1:57 pm, "Martin P. Hellwig" <> wrote:
    > Torsten Bronger wrote:
    > > Hallöchen!

    > > writes:

    > >> I am all about using the right tool for the right purposes, [...]

    > > Which purpose?

    > >> I dug up one article from Google that talked about comparison but
    > >> that was about it.

    > >>http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/database-administration/comparing-pyth...

    > > This comparison is about a very narrow field; additionally, it is a
    > > field PowerShell was optimised for.

    > > Tschö,
    > > Torsten.

    > And adding to that, if you don't care about cross platform anyway, why
    > even bother with python? I am sure that MS has tools that can do in a
    > point and click kind of way all the things you might encounter.
    >
    > --
    > mph

    I code mostly for Windows users, but I use Python almost exclusively.
    Why?

    1) Python is "free"
    2) Microsoft Visual Studio is very expensive
    3) Python is Open Source
    4) Visual Studio is not Open Source
    5) I can actually take the code from IDLE and refine it for my
    purposes if it doesn't suit me. Good luck doing that with practically
    anything Microsoft supplies.
    6) With relative ease, I can go cross-platform with my code if
    requirements change

    I could go on. There are many good reasons to use Python (or some
    other good open source language, like Ruby) even if you just program
    for Windows.

    Mike

    , Jan 8, 2008
  5. Matimus Guest

    On Jan 8, 2:24 pm, Torsten Bronger <-aachen.de>
    wrote:
    > Hallöchen!
    >
    > writes:
    > > I am all about using the right tool for the right purposes, [...]

    > Which purpose?
    >
    > > I dug up one article from Google that talked about comparison but
    > > that was about it.

    > >http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/database-administration/comparing-pyth...

    > This comparison is about a very narrow field; additionally, it is a
    > field PowerShell was optimised for.

    Also, the code looks like they took optimized PowerShell code, and
    just hacked together something to do the equivalent Python. There
    appears to be little or no attempt to create nice efficient Python
    code. For a true comparison two things are missing. 1) The reverse, do
    something in python and then try to write it in PowerShell. 2) be
    diligent in doing as much as possible to make both versions as simple
    as possible. Pick any two languages and I can make the argument that
    either one is better than the other if I pick something that one
    language is better at and spend as little time as possible writing the
    other version.

    That might be a good exercise. Anybody wanna attempt re-writing the
    python examples in that article? Just one glance at it and I can see
    it was written by a Python novice. Now, I don't think the finished
    product will be as small as the PowerShell equivalent, but it might be
    easier to read and will look a heck of a lot nicer than it currently
    does.

    Matt

    Matimus, Jan 8, 2008
  6. wrote:
    > On Jan 8, 1:57 pm, "Martin P. Hellwig" <> wrote:

    <cut>
    >> And adding to that, if you don't care about cross platform anyway, why
    >> even bother with python? I am sure that MS has tools that can do in a
    >> point and click kind of way all the things you might encounter.

    <cut>

    > I code mostly for Windows users, but I use Python almost exclusively.
    > Why?
    >
    > 1) Python is "free"
    > 2) Microsoft Visual Studio is very expensive
    > 3) Python is Open Source
    > 4) Visual Studio is not Open Source
    > 5) I can actually take the code from IDLE and refine it for my
    > purposes if it doesn't suit me. Good luck doing that with practically
    > anything Microsoft supplies.
    > 6) With relative ease, I can go cross-platform with my code if
    > requirements change
    >
    > I could go on. There are many good reasons to use Python (or some
    > other good open source language, like Ruby) even if you just program
    > for Windows.
    >
    > Mike

    Well if that are your requirements, which are all good ones btw, then
    you have answered your own question :)

    --
    mph

    Martin P. Hellwig, Jan 10, 2008