Python profiler usage with objects

harit

Hi,

I have a specific question regarding the usage of profiler. I am new
to python programming I am trying to profile a function which I want
to invoke as a class method, something like this

import profile

class Class:

def doSomething():

do here ..

def callMethod():

**self.doSomething()**
instead of this I want to use

**profile.run(self.doSomething())**
but the profile.run expects the string inside it and I get error

TypeError: exec: arg 1 must be a string, file, or code object

Can somebody please help?

Thank you

rik

harit said:
Hi,

I have a specific question regarding the usage of profiler. I am new
to python programming I am trying to profile a function which I want
to invoke as a class method, something like this

import profile

class Class:

def doSomething():

do here ..

def callMethod():

**self.doSomething()**
instead of this I want to use

**profile.run(self.doSomething())**
but the profile.run expects the string inside it and I get error

TypeError: exec: arg 1 must be a string, file, or code object

Can somebody please help?

Thank you

Harit,

i am OLD to python, and have used its profiler in the past.
but i'm getting your same error:
TypeError: exec: arg 1 must be a string, file, or code object

on both Ubuntu with Python 2.6 and OSX with 2.4. with both
cProfile and profile?! whether or not i specify a file for
profile output!?!

anybody else having trouble profiling?

- rik

Ben Kaplan

[...]

Let's take this code as an example:

def foo() :
return None

import profile
profile.run(foo())

What does the profile.run call do?

First thin it does is evaluate foo(), which returns None. So you're calling
profile.run(None)

There's nothing special about profile.run- you have to hand it something to
execute, not something already executed. Try calling
Profile.run(doSomething) # no parenthesis for doSomething.

rik

Ben Kaplan said:
Let's take this code as an example:

def foo() :
return None

import profile
profile.run(foo())

What does the profile.run call do?

First thin it does is evaluate foo(), which returns None. So you're calling
profile.run(None)

There's nothing special about profile.run- you have to hand it something to
execute, not something already executed. Try calling
Profile.run(doSomething) # no parenthesis for doSomething.

hi Ben, right: i have a top-level function main() that runs just
fine. but i give it as an argument to cProfile.run() or profile.run(),
it executes as expected, but then:
File "/var/folders/lu/luGJNSGwE0mO84R+YbcKpU+++TI/-Tmp-/python-439Ffi.py", line 544, in ?
profile.run(main(seedFile),'/Data/tmp/fetchProfile_100629.profile')
File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4//lib/python2.4/profile.py",
line 72, in run
prof = prof.run(statement)
File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4//lib/python2.4/profile.py",
line 448, in run
return self.runctx(cmd, dict, dict)
File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4//lib/python2.4/profile.py",
line 454, in runctx
exec cmd in globals, locals
TypeError: exec: arg 1 must be a string, file, or code object

this example is from python2.4 on OSX, but the same code generates
the same error on python2.6 on Ubuntu?!

rik

Ben Kaplan said:
First thin it does is evaluate foo(), which returns None. So you're calling
profile.run(None)

There's nothing special about profile.run- you have to hand it something to
execute, not something already executed. Try calling
Profile.run(doSomething) # no parenthesis for doSomething.

i'm reading your message more carefully, and so tried calling
profile.run(main), without any parens (and absorbing the
argument into the function's body for this test). same error!?

Rami Chowdhury

hi Ben, right: i have a top-level function main() that runs just
fine. but i give it as an argument to cProfile.run() or profile.run(),
it executes as expected, but then:

Looks like the same problem. As Ben pointed out, you need to pass profile.run() an executable
(e.g. the main() function itself) and not something that's already been
executed. Since you've already called main(seedFile), it's the return value
that is being passed to profile.run(), and that's why it's complaining...

Perhaps you meant:
profile.run('main(seedFile)', '/Data/tmp/whatever')

?

rik

Ben Kaplan said:
There's nothing special about profile.run- you have to hand it something to
execute, not something already executed. Try calling
Profile.run(doSomething) # no parenthesis for doSomething.

your hint and REREADING THE DOCUMENTATION made me realize it
was the QUOTE MARKS on the function call i was missing:

profile.run('main(seedFile)','profileOutFile')

Harit, perhaps this was your problem, too?

Ben, thanks for your help.