Python RSS aggregator?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Erik Max Francis, Dec 17, 2004.

  1. Back in 2000 I made a news aggregation site (REALpolitik,
    http://www.realpolitik.com/) since I didn't find anything that fit my
    needs. (REALpolitik is unfortunately made in Perl; it was my last
    significant project before I started using Python for most of my work.)
    At the time, RSS had not reached the near-universality that it has
    now, so RP itself uses a combination of custom scraping and whatever
    XML-type feeds that were available.

    I've checked and all the feeds _I_ care about :) are available in RSS
    now, so it would make sense to move to an RSS aggregator if it has the
    same features. I've looked around at some that are available, both in
    Python and not, and haven't found anything that had the feature set I
    want. One in Python would obviously be a huge benefit.

    I'm not looking for anything all that fancy, but there are a combination
    of some seemingly basic features I just can't seem to find in other
    aggregators. They are:

    - one-page display: It's awkward going back and forth between multiple
    feeds in a hierarchical format, and so it's much nicer if they're all
    presented on one page available for perusal.

    - filtering news items: Preferably for filtering out as well as
    highlighting, and also being able to selectively pass on, say, the first
    item in an RSS feed, since some popular feeds use that slot as an
    advertisement.

    - caching news items: I read news sporadically throughout the day, so
    one feature I really like is the ability to queue up new items over
    time, as distinguished by unique GUID. For example, if an RSS feed only
    provided one (unique) item at all in its feed and that was updated once
    a day, letting the system run for several days would collect them all,
    each stored uniquely and available.

    - recent items: When you check for news, it only shows you the news
    items in each category that are new since you last caught up (catching
    up is the equivalent of a "mark all as read" feature). That way, new
    news accumulates, and it's only news you haven't seen before.

    Somewhat surprisingly to me, I can't seem to find an aggregator that
    supports all these features (using Mozilla). Is it possible it's time
    for another Yet Another-type project?

    If love be good, from whence cometh my woe?
    -- Chaucer

    Erik Max Francis, Dec 17, 2004

  2. Erik Max Francis

    Evan Simpson Guest

    Erik Max Francis wrote:
    > I've checked and all the feeds _I_ care about :) are available in RSS
    > now, so it would make sense to move to an RSS aggregator if it has the
    > same features. I've looked around at some that are available, both in
    > Python and not, and haven't found anything that had the feature set I
    > want. One in Python would obviously be a huge benefit.

    http://www.nongnu.org/straw/ would be a great place to start, even if it
    doesn't have all of your desired features.

    Cheers,

    Evan @ 4-am

    Evan Simpson, Dec 17, 2004