Python Screen Scraper

James Stroud

Hello,

Does anyone know of an example, however modest, of a screenscraper
authored in python? I am using Firefox.

Basically, I am answering problems via my browser and being scored for
each problem. I have a tendency to go past my peak for training
efficiency, so I would like to scrape the result page for each problem I
answer, compile statistics, and have a program alert me when I should
stop (based on score and accuracy--assuming training value is related to
changes in these metrics).

I have no idea how to go about writing such a beast and I am hoping that
I could get some pointers or an example that could get me going in the
right direction.

Parsing, etc, is not a problem, but I'm not exactly sure how I might
interface python with Firefox, forwarding scraped pages to my browser
(or forwarding from the browser to the scraper).

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

James

Michael Bentley

[...]

Possibly the easiest thing will be to read from firefox' cache.
Otherwise I think your only real options are to either build a proxy
or sniff the wire...

Jeremy Sanders

Michael said:
Possibly the easiest thing will be to read from firefox' cache.
Otherwise I think your only real options are to either build a proxy
or sniff the wire...

Maybe another way would be to write a firefox addon/plugin. I believe python
is now supported...

Cameron Laird

Possibly the easiest thing will be to read from firefox' cache.
Otherwise I think your only real options are to either build a proxy
or sniff the wire...

Oh, there are *lots* of ways to go about this. How crucial is the
role of Firefox in all this? <URL: http://www.greasespot.net/ >
might be the right answer. Are you open to use of languages other
than Python?

kyosohma

Possibly the easiest thing will be to read from firefox' cache.
Otherwise I think your only real options are to either build a proxy
or sniff the wire...

You should be able to parse the html too. There are quite a few tools
out there for that purpose, "Beautiful Soup" being a good example.

Mike

James Stroud

James said:
[...]

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

James

skotjs

[...]

Hey James,

This might be of interest to you: http://www.screen-scraper.com/support/docs/scripting_in_python.php