python service running on Win Xp, but failing on Win NT Workstation :(

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ringwraith, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Ringwraith

    Ringwraith Guest

    Hello!

    I have implemented a Windows Service in Python. It works on Windows XP
    properly and logs in Event Viever any 'started' or "stopped" events.

    The problem appeared when I tried to start it on Windows NT Workstation.

    The following error entry appeared in Event Viewer while starting it.

    "The Purge Log Files Service service failed to start due to the following
    error:

    The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely
    fashion.

    Timeout (120000 milliseconds) waiting for service to connect. "

    Any ideas what could caused the problem?

    I can send the code if necessary.

    Thank you in advance,

    Nazgul

    Ringwraith, Jan 26, 2004

  2. Ringwraith

    Giles Brown Guest

    "Ringwraith" <> wrote in message news:<bv3bs0$la0$>...
    <snip>
    > "The Purge Log Files Service service failed to start due to the following
    > error:
    > The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely
    > fashion.
    >
    > Timeout (120000 milliseconds) waiting for service to connect. "
    >

    > Any ideas what could caused the problem?

    No idea what caused the problem. I would suggest you "import win32traceutil",
    stick some print statements in early on in your code and start the
    "Trace Collector Debugging tool" from the Tools menu of PythonWin.

    Hth,
    Giles

    Giles Brown, Jan 26, 2004

  3. Ringwraith

    Ringwraith Guest

    maybe another hint ...

    While installing I got the error message:

    "The procedure entry point RegisterServiceCtrlHandlerExW
    could not be located in the dynamic link library ADVAPI32.dll"

    Best wishes,

    Sylwia -> aka Nazgul

    Ringwraith, Jan 26, 2004
  4. Ringwraith

    Mark Hammond Guest

    Re: python service running on Win Xp, but failing on Win NT Workstation

    Ringwraith wrote:

    > maybe another hint ...
    >
    > While installing I got the error message:
    >
    > "The procedure entry point RegisterServiceCtrlHandlerExW
    > could not be located in the dynamic link library ADVAPI32.dll"

    Slowly but surely, support for Win95 and NT are being dropped off
    (generally in the process of enhancing the framework, as was done for
    services in this case). I would accept contributions that fall-back to
    the previous behaviour, but I have no problems with suggesting that
    people who use a very old OS can also use an old Python/win32all to suit.

    Mark.

    Mark Hammond, Jan 26, 2004
  5. Ringwraith

    Ringwraith Guest