python to exe

Steven D'Aprano

Wow, pathetic ****. You don't have to post you know.

Gabriel is one of the more helpful and newbie-friendly of the frequent
posters on this newsgroup. Even if his actions were worthy of your abuse
(and they aren't), he gets at least one Get Out Of Jail Free card for his
long-term helpfulness.

Speaking as somebody who finds Let Me Google That For You to be tiresome
and not at all amusing, nevertheless I support Gabriel's actions. By
merely giving Robin the answer, Robin doesn't learn how to find out the
answer to simple questions himself, and by rewarding his laziness, we
make a rod for our own back.

As the old proverb goes: give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day.
Teach him how to fish, and he has food forever.

I'm an old-fashioned kind of guy, and don't like LMGTFY because it is
tiresome and requires Javascript. I prefer:

Google is your friend:

http://www.google.com/search?q=python+standalone+exe

Oh, and Robin, since you have apparently already tried py2exe and found
it doesn't work on Windows 7, you should have said so from the start,
instead of wasting everyone's time.

Gib Bogle

Steven said:
As the old proverb goes: give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day.
Teach him how to fish, and he has food forever.

I like this version:

Light a man a fire, and you keep him warm for hours. Set a man on fire, and you
keep him warm for the rest of his life.

;-)

Alf P. Steinbach

* Gib Bogle:
I like this version:

Light a man a fire, and you keep him warm for hours. Set a man on fire,
and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

;-)

Hey! I was going to post that! And there it was, in the next article... :)

Cheers,

- Alf

Steve Holden

John said:
Wow, pathetic ****. You don't have to post you know.
And you don't have to give Google a second chance at indexing the URL,
but we all make mistakes.

regards
Steve

Steve Holden

Gib said:
I like this version:

Light a man a fire, and you keep him warm for hours. Set a man on fire,
and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

;-)

I like "Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish
and he will bore you with stories of the one that got away for the rest
of his life".

regards
Steve

python

Robin,
do you of an alternate compilter it doesn't work (py2exe) on my windows 7 box

I can assure you that Py2exe does work on Windows 7 (my firm develops
commercial Python applications packaged using Py2exe running on Windows
7), but it does take a bit of fiddling and some patience. Join the
py2exe newsgroup and post your problems there.

You may also want to google 'Gui2exe'. This is a free front-end to
Py2exe that you can use to generate your Py2exe setup.py scripts. Note
that Gui2exe requires wxPython (free) to run.

Finally, make sure you are trying to compile 32-bit Python 2.x code. I
don't think py2exe supports Python 3.x or 64-bit versions of Python yet.
Nope; py2exe is pretty much the go-to tool for this.

I hear great things about PyInstaller. The project is not dead - make
sure you use the latest version in the SVN.

Search stackoverflow.com for positive feedback and tips on PyInstaller.
Its on our plate to take a good look this product 'one of these days'.

Good luck!

Malcolm

Martin Schöön

Mark Lawrence said:
I'm certain that members of the Guinea Pig Club might have something
to say on that one, see :-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinea_Pig_Club

Interesting. My mum is a retired surgeon and in the mid 1980s she
attended a course in plastic surgery and among other things she
learnt that plastic surgery got going for real during WWII 'thanks'
to all pilots with burns. I have forwarded the link above to her.

/Martin

John Bokma

Steven D'Aprano said:
As the old proverb goes: give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day.
Teach him how to fish, and he has food forever.

True, but you don't teach someone fishing by poking an eye out with a
fishing rod.
I'm an old-fashioned kind of guy, and don't like LMGTFY because it is
tiresome and requires Javascript. I prefer:

My reply had little to do with lmgtfy and all to do with hiding it behind
tinyurl. But even then, why not do what you just did: give a URL to
google directly.

For quite some time I thought that comp.lang.perl.misc was quite
unfriendly because of a certain attitude. comp.lang.python was quite a
refreshment for a while: very newbie friendly, less pissing contests,
etc. (but way more fanboism).

Yesterday was a sady day: I finally had to conclude that it was only
wishful thinking on my part; there is no difference.

Steven D'Aprano

For quite some time I thought that comp.lang.perl.misc was quite
unfriendly because of a certain attitude. comp.lang.python was quite a
refreshment for a while: very newbie friendly, less pissing contests,
etc. (but way more fanboism).

Yesterday was a sady day: I finally had to conclude that it was only
wishful thinking on my part; there is no difference.

You were the first one to inject abuse into this thread. There's a big
difference between a mildly sarcastic link and dropping the F-word at one
of the more helpful and respected members of the community. Perhaps you
are projecting your own hostility and aggro onto others?

Martin P. Hellwig

You were the first one to inject abuse into this thread. There's a big
difference between a mildly sarcastic link and dropping the F-word at one
of the more helpful and respected members of the community. Perhaps you
are projecting your own hostility and aggro onto others?
John's thought process is a slippery slope and I make the same 'mistake'
(notice the quotes please :)) so often it would seem I won't learn it
ever. However on the rare occasion I notice that I am making the mistake
I say to myself: The view of a number of individuals do NOT necessarily
represent the view of the majority unless proven otherwise by that
actual majority.

David Monaghan

True, but you don't teach someone fishing by poking an eye out with a
fishing rod.

My reply had little to do with lmgtfy and all to do with hiding it behind
tinyurl. But even then, why not do what you just did: give a URL to
google directly.

For quite some time I thought that comp.lang.perl.misc was quite
unfriendly because of a certain attitude. comp.lang.python was quite a
refreshment for a while: very newbie friendly, less pissing contests,
etc. (but way more fanboism).

Yesterday was a sady day: I finally had to conclude that it was only
wishful thinking on my part; there is no difference.

There was a time, when the internet was young and most newbies couldn't find
their own backsides with both hands, that your conclusions would be well
placed.That time has long passed: Newsgroups are a long way down the
hierarchy since those times and anyone turning up here nowadays _has_ heard
of Google. If they haven't used it, I don't really consider the gentle
reminder that LMGTFY gives too harsh. If you do, you're too much of a gentle
soul to be on the internet at all; someone might say "Boo" to you at any
moment. Beware.

DaveM