Python UPS / FedEx Shipping Module

Gabriel Cooper

I've made UPS and FedEx shipping rate request modules in python using
XML. Is there an interest in putting this on the web?

Peter Hansen

Gabriel said:
I've made UPS and FedEx shipping rate request modules in python using
XML. Is there an interest in putting this on the web?

I'd be interested in at least looking at them, hoping to learn
something of value, even if I don't have (or believe I don't have)
any current use for them.

-Peter

Kartic

Gabriel Cooper said the following on 2/11/2005 2:23 PM:
I've made UPS and FedEx shipping rate request modules in python using
XML. Is there an interest in putting this on the web?

I am interested in it for educational value, if not anything else.
Please post the web address from which to download.

Thanks!
-Kartic

Tom Willis

Are the modules just accessing the published apis for their webservices?

I'm just wondering because I used to work for a logistics mgmt
company that paid money to be a strategic partner with
FedEx/UPS/Airborn etc so that they could information on how to return
rates/print labels/generate edi's/calculate arrival times etc.

I'd get a good laugh out of it suddenly being freely available now.

Gabriel Cooper

Tom said:
Are the modules just accessing the published apis for their webservices?

I'm just wondering because I used to work for a logistics mgmt
company that paid money to be a strategic partner with
FedEx/UPS/Airborn etc so that they could information on how to return
rates/print labels/generate edi's/calculate arrival times etc.

I'd get a good laugh out of it suddenly being freely available now.
Yes, they use the free API's that have always been freely available.
They're just *Impossible* to find on either of UPS's OR FedEx's
websites. It took me no less than an hour and likely more just to find
the documentation pages on each site. As for putting them up on the web,
I should be able to get them up by the end of the week.

Gabriel.

Tom Willis

Good to know.

i've always thought that python would make an excellent solution for
transportation and logistics software. I used to maintain a nasty vb6
solution, and a lot of the brick walls could have been overcome by
utilizing the dynamic nature of python.

But, there is not enough hours in the day. And writing a solution puts
you in an odd relationship with your partners(UPS/FexEx etc...).

On one hand you are helping them indirectly sell their services, On
the other, you are sort of competing with them, so, those companies
have plenty of reason to screw with you by changing the specs, lot's
of hoops to jump through to contiuously be certified.

I guess I care anyway because the problem domain is so interesting to
me. Maybe it's because I'm running a fever. :)

Thanks for the info.

Brad Clements

_
Yes, they use the free API's that have always been freely available.
They're just *Impossible* to find on either of UPS's OR FedEx's
websites. It took me no less than an hour and likely more just to find
the documentation pages on each site. As for putting them up on the web,
I should be able to get them up by the end of the week.

If you downloaded the documentation from UPS, please re-check your license
agreement for the documentation before posting the code. You might be in
violation of some terms and conditions. I say might, I do not know for
certain and am not hinting that you are violating anything.

I've been tracking through UPS for 4 years using their old crappy interface,
and a newer one, and now we've moved to the XML version. All of their
documents come with a click - through license agreement that probably
restricts you in some way. I haven't read them too closely, since I'm under
contract I say "yes" on behalf of my client. ;-)

Gabriel Cooper

Tom said:
On one hand you are helping them indirectly sell their services, On
the other, you are sort of competing with them, so, those companies
have plenty of reason to screw with you by changing the specs, lot's
of hoops to jump through to contiuously be certified.

Well before we make it out to be more than it is, what I have here is
merely a module for getting rate requests. Basically we wanted a
UPS/FedEx module to price-check shipping costs for eCommerce websites.
The other types of requests could be implemented with no problem, but
that's all that has been done so far.

Gabriel.

Aahz

I've made UPS and FedEx shipping rate request modules in python using
XML. Is there an interest in putting this on the web?

Yes! My company has some similar software, and I may be able to get
permission to combine our work.
--
Aahz ([email protected]) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"The joy of coding Python should be in seeing short, concise, readable
classes that express a lot of action in a small amount of clear code --
not in reams of trivial code that bores the reader to death." --GvR