python w/expat compiled on one box doesn't work on another

Doug

I am running solaris 7 on two machines. I compiled python 2.2.1 with
expat parser on one machine. The python binary is located in
/usr/local/bin and the libraries are located in /usr/local/lib. I was
told that if I would tar up the /usr/local/lib/python2.2 directory from
the one machine. I could transfer that and the binaries from
/usr/local/bin to another machine running solaris 7 and all should be
fine. Machine 1 acts as a hub for receiving and redirecting soap
messages between machines on a WAN. I know that it's parser is working.
Machine 2 is supposed to take an input message, parse it and send a
soap message to Machine 1. However, I get an error that says that it
can't find the expat parser. The environments on the two machines are
nearly identical (any differences deal with unrelated items). Can
someone point me in the right direction as to why it doesn't find the
expat parser on the other machine. I can see the expat files in the
/usr/local/lib/python2.2/xml/parsers directory.

TIA for any assistance.
Doug

Fredrik Lundh

Doug said:
Can someone point me in the right direction as to why it doesn't find
the expat parser on the other machine. I can see the expat files in the
/usr/local/lib/python2.2/xml/parsers directory.

the xml/parsers directory contains the Python parts of the expat interface,
but there's also a binary module (usually called "pyexpat.so").

what happens if you import pyexpat directly?

</F>