Python Windows Extensions for Mac

johnny.venter

Hello, I am looking for the Python Windows Extensions to see if they can be installed on a Mac.THanks.

Kevin Walzer

Hello, I am looking for the Python Windows Extensions to see if they can be installed on a Mac.THanks.

You can certainly try to install them via easy_install, I supposed, but
it's doubtful they would do anything, as the Mac does not support win32
API calls any more than Windows supports Cocoa/Objective-C calls.

Johnny Venter

Thank you all for the replies. I would like to query various Windows' objects and resources from Mac and/or Linux such as Active Directory users, network shares, group members, etc... What module or methods can I use with pythonto accomplish this?

I found dcerpc might be the way to go.

Chris Angelico

Thank you all for the replies. I would like to query various Windows' objects and resources from Mac and/or Linux such as Active Directory users, network shares, group members, etc... What module or methods can I use with python to accomplish this?

The concept doesn't have meaning on a non-Windows computer, so I am
going to take the liberty of assuming that you really want to query
them from a different computer - some kind of network query. If that's
not the case, can you clarify exactly what your setup is?

Chris Angelico

Johnny Venter

Yes, I want to make my queries from a remote non-Windows computer. Here is the scenario:

From my mac, I want to use python to access and read objects from a remoteWindows computer joined to a Windows 2003 functional level domain. Given this, what is the best way to accomplish this?

Chris Angelico

Yes, I want to make my queries from a remote non-Windows computer. Here is the scenario:

From my mac, I want to use python to access and read objects from a remote  Windows computer joined to a Windows 2003 functional level domain. Given this, what is the best way to accomplish this?

Then the "use Python" part is relatively immaterial; what you need to
know is: What network protocol are you using to "access and read
objects"? Start by researching that; once you know the details (is it
even TCP/IP-based?), you can look into whether Python has facilities
for speaking that protocol.

ChrisA

Alec Taylor

Perhaps you'd be better off with something like RunDeck (Free,
Open-Source, Cross-Platform, CopyLeft) for this kind of problem.

Irmen de Jong

Thank you all for the replies. I would like to query various Windows' objects and
resources from Mac and/or Linux such as Active Directory users, network shares, group
members, etc... What module or methods can I use with python to accomplish this?

A way to approach this problem is installing Python + windows extensions on the actual
windows machine(s) you want to query.

Then create some form of a server process that does the windows specific stuff locally,
and exposes an interface with the functions you want to provide to your remote
machine(s). Talk with the server process using some form of platform independent IPC,
for instance Pyro: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Pyro4/

Be careful what methods you expose this way though (security issues!)

Irmen

johnny.venter

Chris, thank you for the information. Focusing on Active Directory, I reviewed the info at the following site: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc961766.aspx

Based on this, I need to find a module that implements the LDAP APIs. By default, it does not appear that Python can speak this language, I am using version 2.6.1. The module I found is Python-LDAP (http://www.python-ldap.org/).

Does anyone have experience using this?

---- On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 00:30:07 -0700 Chris Angelico wrote ----