Python with Ecmascript

jiri.zahradil

Hello,

for my Python application (Windows platform) to be standards
compliant, I need to embbed Ecmascript(Javascript) interpreter - I
need to execute plugins written in this language. Which engine is
suitable for Python, I have found bunch of them. Any recomendations
are welcome.

To be more specific, I think that plugins will be pretty simple, they
will be used to manipulate my class-based datamodel, no special
libraries dependencies ... therefore I prefer some rather simple
solution ...

Jiri

Phil Thompson

Hello,

for my Python application (Windows platform) to be standards
compliant, I need to embbed Ecmascript(Javascript) interpreter - I
need to execute plugins written in this language. Which engine is
suitable for Python, I have found bunch of them. Any recomendations
are welcome.

To be more specific, I think that plugins will be pretty simple, they
will be used to manipulate my class-based datamodel, no special
libraries dependencies ... therefore I prefer some rather simple
solution ...

PyQt includes a Javascript interpreter. You can expose Python objects and
properties as Javascript objects and properties.

Phil

Méta-MCI \(MVP\)

Hi!

Ecmascript (Jscript) is Active-Scripting compliant.
With PyWin32, you can :
- call JScript functions (with parameters)
- define pieces of code (& run it)

Another way, is to drive Internet-Explorer (via COM). You can set the
IE-Windows as invisible, and connect the motor of execution (of
JScript). Then, you can :
- call JScript functions, with parameters et return ; variables, but
also array (<=> lists)
- connect to JScripts's objects (for read/write)
- write new functions in JScript
- etc.

@-salutations

Michel Claveau

Daniel Fetchinson

Ecmascript (Jscript) is Active-Scripting compliant.
With PyWin32, you can :
- call JScript functions (with parameters)
- define pieces of code (& run it)

Another way, is to drive Internet-Explorer (via COM). You can set the
IE-Windows as invisible, and connect the motor of execution (of
JScript). Then, you can :
- call JScript functions, with parameters et return ; variables, but
also array (<=> lists)
- connect to JScripts's objects (for read/write)
- write new functions in JScript
- etc.

Is there a way to do similar things on linux?

Cheers,
Daniel

Tim Roberts

for my Python application (Windows platform) to be standards
compliant, I need to embbed Ecmascript(Javascript) interpreter - I
need to execute plugins written in this language.

What standard are you hoping to comply with? I mean, what kind of a
program is this?

Méta-MCI \(MVP\)

Hi!
Is there a way to do similar things on linux?

I think no. Because these tech use COM. And COM don't exist under xxnux.
But:
- look if XPCOM, or dBus) can help you
- search with the word "MOZLAB", who work a solution (plugin) for
drive Firefox, from an external software.

Good luck!

Daniel Fetchinson

Is there a way to do similar things on linux?
I think no. Because these tech use COM. And COM don't exist under xxnux.
But:
- look if XPCOM, or dBus) can help you
- search with the word "MOZLAB", who work a solution (plugin) for
drive Firefox, from an external software.

Wow, mozlab is amazing!

Thanks,
Daniel

jiri.zahradil

What standard are you hoping to comply with? I mean, what kind of a
program is this?

Thats for our speech recognition server - it should executed "tags"
with Javascript code embbeded in some XML grammar format.

I personally does not like COM solution. I prefer some simple library
but may be it is just a hope. I will look to PyQT library and to
Mozilla scripting engine, but I think that this one can get
unnecessarily difficult.

Does anyone work or use something similar?

Jiri

jiri.zahradil

Have you looked at the module 'python-spidermonkey'? It apparently
"allows for the implementation of Javascript classes, objects and
functions in Python, as well as the evaluation and calling of
Javascript scripts and functions".

http://code.google.com/p/python-spidermonkey/

I have looked at it. It seems to be not fully working version, but I
have not check it properly because the project homepage says "windows
version is forthcoming".

At this time I am considering using some command line interpreter
(maybe jsdb, http://www.jsdb.org/, based on spidermonkey) Idea is to
save script code to file and let it run by interpreter and then parse
the results. Problem is that this approach has very limited access to
variables and objects exposed to javascript (they needs to be
serialized before script run, script cannot call python functions etc)
and also retrieving results is not straigtforward.

Still looking for better solution ...

JZ