python2.4.2 + win95, import socket dll error

John Pote

Hi all,
Can someone throw some light on this problem? (is trying to run Python 2.4.2
on an old win95 box a reasonable thing to do?)

I keep my old win95 box for an old eprom programmer that won't plug into a
new box (needs an ISA socket!). Also use it for network testing. No problem
with Py 2.3 but wanting to use the latest Twisted I upgraded to 2.4.2.

Installing Mark Hammond's pywin32-207.win32-py2.4.exe (or prev version -205)
I get the following error message during the post install script bit of the
installation:-

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 365, in ?
File "<string>", line 155, in install
File "<string>", line 94, in LoadSystemModule
ImportError: DLL load failed: A device attached to the system is not
functioning.
*** run_installscript: internal error 0xFFFFFFFF ***

When I try to run a script using the socket library (also trying to start
Stani's Python Editor) I get the following message:-

File "C:\APPS\PYTHON\242\lib\SocketServer.py", line 132, in ?
import socket
File "C:\APPS\PYTHON\242\lib\socket.py", line 45, in ?
import _socket
ImportError: DLL load failed: One of the library files needed to run this
applic
ation cannot be found.

Is it the same dll in both cases, any idea what it might be and where could
I find a copy?

Many thanks,

John Pote

Dennis Lee Bieber

Hi all,
Can someone throw some light on this problem? (is trying to run Python 2.4.2
on an old win95 box a reasonable thing to do?)
Wasn't Winsock updated between W95 and W98?

You may have the older winsock 1.1, and all the newer stuff is built
against (and trying to load) winsock 2.2

John Pote

Dennis,
Thanks for the info. Found winsock2.0 on the MS knowledge base site.
Downloaded, installed (with the y2k upgrade as recommended) and, amazingly,
all is working. My simple socket server works no problem as does a test http
client sending data to my web site. This latter program seems a little
grainy on updating the wxPython GUI compared to my modern XP box and
slightly older W2K laptop. But its working!

You might like to know:
I tried searching for winsock 2.2,
on MSK base no hits
on google search many hits but the ones I could make out all refered to
winsock2.2.exe as a variant of the spybot worm.

Thanks for helping solve the problem,

All the best

John Pote

Dennis Lee Bieber

I tried searching for winsock 2.2,

Sorry about that... Problem was -- my actual Winsock DLL (on XP) has
an internal version of 3.10. I pulled the 1/2 from the .H files in the
Visual Studio 8 beta I have...

Compare the two below:

winsock.h
/* WINSOCK.H--definitions to be used with the WINSOCK.DLL
* Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
*
* This header file corresponds to version 1.1 of the Windows Sockets
specification.
*
* This file includes parts which are Copyright (c) 1982-1986 Regents
* of the University of California. All rights reserved. The
* Berkeley Software License Agreement specifies the terms and
* conditions for redistribution.
*
*/

winsock2.h
/* Winsock2.h -- definitions to be used with the WinSock 2 DLL and
* WinSock 2 applications.
*
* This header file corresponds to version 2.2.x of the WinSock API
* specification.
*