python2.5 and mysqldb

writeson

Hi all,

At work we're using python2.3 and I'd like to start getting us moved
up to python2.5. We run Centos4 which is the free, open source version
of RedHat Enterprise. I've got python2.5 installed on this machine,
but am stuck trying to get mysqldb installed and running on this
machine. I've tried with easy_install and by building from the tar
file and both return a long list of errors from a gcc compile. I'm not
sure what to do next to resolve this issue, so if anyone could give me
some guidance it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Doug

Diez B. Roggisch

writeson said:
Hi all,

At work we're using python2.3 and I'd like to start getting us moved
up to python2.5. We run Centos4 which is the free, open source version
of RedHat Enterprise. I've got python2.5 installed on this machine,
but am stuck trying to get mysqldb installed and running on this
machine. I've tried with easy_install and by building from the tar
file and both return a long list of errors from a gcc compile. I'm not
sure what to do next to resolve this issue, so if anyone could give me
some guidance it would be greatly appreciated.

Which we would love to do if you cared to post the long list of errors.
Unless the PSU launches one of it's psychic members to work on your
problem - but they are very usually very busy.

Diez

brad

writeson wrote:

.... stuck trying to get mysqldb installed and running on this
machine. I've tried with easy_install and by building from the tar
file and both return a long list of errors from a gcc compile. I'm not
sure what to do next to resolve this issue, so if anyone could give me
some guidance it would be greatly appreciated.

I would stay at Python 2.3... Centos (like redhat) relies heavily on
Python. Sure, you could hack it a bit and install both versions (which
you obviously have), but IMO, it's not worth it. What feature of 2.5 is
required that 2.3 can't do? I'd guess that the mysqldb compile is
somehow being confused by the default 2.3 and the version you've
installed or is conflicting with other versions of itself?

Again, unless there is a compelling reason to upgrade, don't or get a
more flexible OS that easily allows for this sort of thing (like Debian)

Brad

BartlebyScrivener

or get a
more flexible OS that easily allows for this sort of thing (like Debian)

Second that. Etch came with 2.3 and 2.4, and I added 2.5 and they
never bother each other.

rd