python24 symbol file...pyhon24.pdb

over

I've seen a few references on the net to a python24.pdb file. I assume
it's a symbol file along the lines of the pdb files issued by
microsoft for their products. Maybe I'm wrong.

Has anyone seen such an animal?

Also, is there source code available for python24 for Windoze? I have
seen reference to source code but not in a package for Windows.

thanks

Christian Heimes

I've seen a few references on the net to a python24.pdb file. I assume
it's a symbol file along the lines of the pdb files issued by
microsoft for their products. Maybe I'm wrong.

..pdb files (program database) are created by MS' compiler, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Program_database. Python doesn't ship the
files. You have to compile Python yourself to get the pdb files.

Christian

Gabriel Genellina

I've seen a few references on the net to a python24.pdb file. I assume
it's a symbol file along the lines of the pdb files issued by
microsoft for their products. Maybe I'm wrong.

Has anyone seen such an animal?

I don't get why you care so much about that file. It's useful to debug a
crash in python.exe, but I can't see any other useful purpose (if you only
have the python executable and the .pdb available).
Also, is there source code available for python24 for Windoze? I have
seen reference to source code but not in a package for Windows.

There is a single source package shared by all platforms. You can download
and compile it, and you'll get your own version of python.pdb if you like.

over

I don't get why you care so much about that file. It's useful to debug a
crash in python.exe, but I can't see any other useful purpose (if you only
have the python executable and the .pdb available).

I'm trying to use Paimei, the Python-based debugger put out by Pedram
Amini. I can get Paimei to run certain apps, like Notepad, but it gets
hung up on other apps that are more complex. I'm trying to find the
bottleneck, so to speak, on apps that fail, so I'm using a Windows
debugger to follow the Paimei app as it is interpretted by python. It
is very helpful when tracing assembler code to have symbols available
in the disassembly of the debugger.

So far, I can follow the code from the Paimei wxPython windows into
pythonw and python. It was difficult due to the lack of signposts.
With a pdb symbol file loaded, the disassembly has names on the
functions, like kernel32, etc.
There is a single source package shared by all platforms. You can download
and compile it, and you'll get your own version of python.pdb if you like.

thanks for the info.