    seen reference to source code but not in a package for Windows.

    thanks
    , Jan 23, 2008

  2. wrote:
    > I've seen a few references on the net to a python24.pdb file. I assume
    > it's a symbol file along the lines of the pdb files issued by
    > microsoft for their products. Maybe I'm wrong.

    ..pdb files (program database) are created by MS' compiler, see
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Program_database. Python doesn't ship the
    files. You have to compile Python yourself to get the pdb files.

    Christian
    Christian Heimes, Jan 23, 2008

  3. En Wed, 23 Jan 2008 05:04:35 -0200, <> escribió:

    > I've seen a few references on the net to a python24.pdb file. I assume
    > it's a symbol file along the lines of the pdb files issued by
    > microsoft for their products. Maybe I'm wrong.
    >
    > Has anyone seen such an animal?

    I don't get why you care so much about that file. It's useful to debug a
    crash in python.exe, but I can't see any other useful purpose (if you only
    have the python executable and the .pdb available).

    > Also, is there source code available for python24 for Windoze? I have
    > seen reference to source code but not in a package for Windows.

    There is a single source package shared by all platforms. You can download
    and compile it, and you'll get your own version of python.pdb if you like.

    --
    Gabriel Genellina
    Gabriel Genellina, Jan 23, 2008
  4. Martin v. Löwis, Jan 23, 2008

    On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 08:54:19 +0100, Christian Heimes
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> I've seen a few references on the net to a python24.pdb file. I assume
    >> it's a symbol file along the lines of the pdb files issued by
    >> microsoft for their products. Maybe I'm wrong.

    >.pdb files (program database) are created by MS' compiler, see
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Program_database. Python doesn't ship the
    >files. You have to compile Python yourself to get the pdb files.
    >
    >Christian

    thanks
    , Jan 23, 2008

    >I don't get why you care so much about that file. It's useful to debug a
    >crash in python.exe, but I can't see any other useful purpose (if you only
    >have the python executable and the .pdb available).

    I'm trying to use Paimei, the Python-based debugger put out by Pedram
    Amini. I can get Paimei to run certain apps, like Notepad, but it gets
    hung up on other apps that are more complex. I'm trying to find the
    bottleneck, so to speak, on apps that fail, so I'm using a Windows
    debugger to follow the Paimei app as it is interpretted by python. It
    is very helpful when tracing assembler code to have symbols available
    in the disassembly of the debugger.

    So far, I can follow the code from the Paimei wxPython windows into
    pythonw and python. It was difficult due to the lack of signposts.
    With a pdb symbol file loaded, the disassembly has names on the
    functions, like kernel32, etc.

    >> Also, is there source code available for python24 for Windoze? I have
    >> seen reference to source code but not in a package for Windows.

    >There is a single source package shared by all platforms. You can download
    >and compile it, and you'll get your own version of python.pdb if you like.

    thanks for the info.
    , Jan 23, 2008

    On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:19:28 +0100, "Martin v. Löwis"
    <> wrote:

    >> Also, is there source code available for python24 for Windoze? I have
    >> seen reference to source code but not in a package for Windows.

    >It's available from
    >
    >http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.4/Python-2.4.tgz
    >
    >Regards,
    >Martin