Pythonwin not loading DLL, should I change extensions by .pyo or pyd?

Pekeika

Python 2.5 doesn't support/load .dll anymore. Is PythonWin 2.5 the
same case?

If a .DLL file is not loading, should I change its extension for it to
work?
What extensions should be now, .pyo, .pyd, etc? which one?
What is the meaning of each extension?

Thanks,
Angelica E-G.

Gabriel Genellina

En Mon, 17 Nov 2008 13:01:11 -0200, Pekeika
Python 2.5 doesn't support/load .dll anymore. Is PythonWin 2.5 the
same case?

If a .DLL file is not loading, should I change its extension for it to
work?
What extensions should be now, .pyo, .pyd, etc? which one?
What is the meaning of each extension?

Python supports being extended using "extension modules"; on Windows they
are dynamic libraries (DLL). Before 2.5, the extensions ".dll" and ".pyd"
were both valid; starting with 2.5, only files ending in ".pyd" are
recognized.
Note that this applies to extension modules *only*, not generic DLLs.
All binary packages targeted to 2.5 use the right name for their extension
modules, at least all that I know of. You don't have to rename anything.

A .pyo file is a totally different thing; it's a compiled Python source
(like a .pyc) but with optimization turned on.