    thing to use since PyXML is going without support. Best of all it is
    included in the base Python distribution, so no addition hunting required.

    Is this right thinking? Is there a better solution?

    Paul Watson, Sep 30, 2006

  2. Paul Watson

    John Salerno Guest

    Paul Watson wrote:
    > It would appear that xml.dom.minidom or xml.sax.* might be the best
    > thing to use since PyXML is going without support. Best of all it is
    > included in the base Python distribution, so no addition hunting required.
    >
    > Is this right thinking? Is there a better solution?

    You can try ElementTree, it comes with 2.5 (xml.etree.ElementTree).

    John Salerno, Sep 30, 2006

  3. Paul Watson

    Paul Boddie Guest

    John Salerno wrote:
    > Paul Watson wrote:
    > > It would appear that xml.dom.minidom or xml.sax.* might be the best
    > > thing to use since PyXML is going without support. Best of all it is
    > > included in the base Python distribution, so no addition hunting required.
    > >
    > > Is this right thinking? Is there a better solution?

    > You can try ElementTree, it comes with 2.5 (xml.etree.ElementTree).

    Certainly, ElementTree, xml.sax and xml.dom.minidom appear to be viable
    as standard library solutions for the foreseeable future. Sadly, Python
    XML activities have fragmented since PyXML was in its prime,
    reminiscent of that other contentious area of Python standardisation:
    Web technologies.

    Paul

    Paul Boddie, Sep 30, 2006
  4. Paul Watson

    Guest

    Paul Watson wrote:
    > It would appear that xml.dom.minidom or xml.sax.* might be the best
    > thing to use since PyXML is going without support. Best of all it is
    > included in the base Python distribution, so no addition hunting required.

    FWIW, easy_install [1] is making things so that more and more
    installing stuff is not much additional burden. I'll admit that I've
    hardly found easy_install to be problem-free, but since it seems to be
    the wave of the future (and a welcome wave at that) I've pushed for
    support in recent versions of the XML tools I co-develop: 4Suite [2]
    and Amara [3]. For many people these are now very easy to install.
    This is the case for some other third-party XML tools as well.

    [1] http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall
    [2] http://4suite.org/
    [3] http://uche.ogbuji.net/tech/4suite/amara/

    --