PyXML not supported, what to use next?

Paul Watson

It would appear that xml.dom.minidom or xml.sax.* might be the best
thing to use since PyXML is going without support. Best of all it is
included in the base Python distribution, so no addition hunting required.

Is this right thinking? Is there a better solution?

John Salerno

Paul said:
It would appear that xml.dom.minidom or xml.sax.* might be the best
thing to use since PyXML is going without support. Best of all it is
included in the base Python distribution, so no addition hunting required.

Is this right thinking? Is there a better solution?

You can try ElementTree, it comes with 2.5 (xml.etree.ElementTree).

Paul Boddie

John said:
You can try ElementTree, it comes with 2.5 (xml.etree.ElementTree).

Certainly, ElementTree, xml.sax and xml.dom.minidom appear to be viable
as standard library solutions for the foreseeable future. Sadly, Python
XML activities have fragmented since PyXML was in its prime,
reminiscent of that other contentious area of Python standardisation:
Web technologies.

Paul

uche.ogbuji

Paul said:
It would appear that xml.dom.minidom or xml.sax.* might be the best
thing to use since PyXML is going without support. Best of all it is
included in the base Python distribution, so no addition hunting required.

FWIW, easy_install [1] is making things so that more and more
installing stuff is not much additional burden. I'll admit that I've
hardly found easy_install to be problem-free, but since it seems to be
the wave of the future (and a welcome wave at that) I've pushed for
support in recent versions of the XML tools I co-develop: 4Suite [2]
and Amara [3]. For many people these are now very easy to install.
This is the case for some other third-party XML tools as well.

[1] http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall
[2] http://4suite.org/
[3] http://uche.ogbuji.net/tech/4suite/amara/