QT

Jolfi

can anyone help with QT?????
i've some problems with it and i don't no what i have done wrong

Donovan Rebbechi

can anyone help with QT?????
i've some problems with it and i don't no what i have done wrong

If you mean the Qt application toolkit by trolltech, try the "Qt interest"
mailing list, or the Linux programming newsgroups.

Cheers,

Thomas Hansen

Rapscallion said:
I wonder what makes someone waste so much time and energy on yet
another GUI library.

When I started SmartWin++ there wasn't that many GUI libraries in fact.
(late 2002)
But, I love C++ and I didn't get much time (2002) to work with the
language professionally.
Second, I needed a good Windows GUI library in C++ myself.
Third, I wanted to prove a concept and therefor did it as a research
thing. (templates as fundament for typesafe callback functions)

But later library has proven to give me lots of other nice things.
Like for instance I'm being headhunted about 3-5 times a year from all
over the world because I'm the founder of the library.
In addition I can in some circles just say I'm the founder of
SmartWin++ and people goes like "ahh..."...
Those last two issues are imperative for a guy with virtually no
education dependant on proving his value everytime...

Thomas Hansen

Gernot Frisch

Thomas Hansen said:
[...]

Well, the concept seems nice, but you only wrapped the winAPI. You
don't support multiple platforms nor do you have special controls like
HTML edit or something.

I don't want to discourage you, but I don't really see much sense in
your lib.
-Gernot

Thomas Hansen

Gernot said:
Well, the concept seems nice, but you only wrapped the winAPI. You
don't support multiple platforms nor do you have special controls like
HTML edit or something.

Thank you for looking at the library!
:D
Always nice when people takes notice in ones work.

Regarding multiple platforms:
Thanx to WineLib we'll probably have a working Linux version within
some few weeks.

Regarding HTML edit:
SmartWin++ is FIRST of all about being lightweighted, small and thin!
If I could add up HTML edit without making the size of the library
quadruple, I would do it tomorrow!
However, this is not possible unless making stupid dependencies on IE
ActiveX controls, which I obviously DON'T want to!
But there's a RichEdit control which should solve many of the problems
related to missing HTML edit control...
Also you can make HTML edit yourself if you want to thanx to
SmartWin++'s plugin nature...
I don't want to discourage you, but I don't really see much sense in

Many people disagrees with you here...
If you think about it, how many GUI libraries can you dive into and
hack the code behind?
SmartWin++ has got 18000 lines of code!
(Most of those lines are comments, maybe 3/4)
How many lines of proprietary, non documented, closed code would you
have to understand in Qt to do the same?

Anyway, you're entitled to have your opinion though, and I respect it!
And obviously SmartWin++ is not even CLOSE to neither Qt nor wxWidgets
in feature richness...
It was neither never supposed to be and probably never will be, in fact
that's probably SmartWin++ biggest feature!
(Lack of features...)
SmartWin++ is about doing one thing really good, and not to embrace all
problems in one hugh gigantic dll as Qt and wxWidgets does...
As I say in the justified section at it's website, why buy a TCP/IP
stack when all you want to do is shop for a DateTime picker...
;)

Thomas

Ioannis Vranos

Thomas said:
[...]

How are you thinking to wrap WinFX?

Thomas Hansen

Ioannis said:
How are you thinking to wrap WinFX?

I have no idea what so ever...
I've heard Mumbo Jumbo from Redmond for more then 3 years now about
Windows API being ported to Managed environment, unsupported in
Longhorn, dead, etc.
But mostly it's been mumbo jumbo till now, so I have no fear for now!

I assume they'll also be supporting Windows API in Longhorn, after all
they recently renamed it from Win32API to support 64bits
architectures...
But till now Microsoft has yet to surprise me with both an API, SDK or
Library which is easy to learn, comes with low overhead and is easy to
extend and understand...
Just look at e.g. Windows API, DirectX, MFC, WTL etc...

So I suspect SmartWin++ will have a good life for a long time!
And when I need port to WinFX this is probably possible too...

Thomas

Steven T. Hatton

Thomas said:
Many people disagrees with you here...
If you think about it, how many GUI libraries can you dive into and
hack the code behind?
SmartWin++ has got 18000 lines of code!
(Most of those lines are comments, maybe 3/4)
How many lines of proprietary, non documented, closed code would you
have to understand in Qt to do the same?

Qt is open source. The source is available under the GPL. It is very
(exceptionally) well documented. There are some things I wish Qt did
differently, but overall, it is a very flexible, powerful and intuitive
toolkit. There is a licensed version of Qt, but I don't know how it
differs from the free version. I'm confident the core (and that's a whole
lot) is the same as the open source version.
Anyway, you're entitled to have your opinion though, and I respect it!
And obviously SmartWin++ is not even CLOSE to neither Qt nor wxWidgets
in feature richness...
It was neither never supposed to be and probably never will be, in fact
that's probably SmartWin++ biggest feature!
(Lack of features...)
SmartWin++ is about doing one thing really good, and not to embrace all
problems in one hugh gigantic dll as Qt and wxWidgets does...
As I say in the justified section at it's website, why buy a TCP/IP
stack when all you want to do is shop for a DateTime picker...
;)

Thomas

I think your effort is commendable. You may find a niche in the market for
it. It might grow. Who knows? I have to stick up for Qt, and TrollTech.
I've been using Qt based products since the KDE was in alpha. Other than
Emacs, every user app I currently have running is built with Qt.
--
"If our hypothesis is about anything and not about some one or more
are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." - Bertrand