    to go to each individual page with that same change, yuck...

    Thanks,
    Todd
    leupi, Feb 8, 2008

  2. leupi

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Cm2rj.11$CX2.9@trndny09>,
    leupi <> wrote:

    > I was wondering if anyone here used the Quanta HTML editor on Linux. I
    > am trying to figure out if I can use it to create templates that would
    > can be used for all of my pages the way that I could when I used
    > Dreamweaver. Right now, when I make a change to the basic design I need
    > to go to each individual page with that same change, yuck...

    If you separate your html markup as much as possible from your
    css presentational instructions, then a change to the
    presentation should require changing only one file, namely the
    css one. This is something that is quite independent of the
    editor you use.

    However, if you change the html markup, then you do need to
    change all the pages. There are some remarkably powerful yet easy
    ways to do this. I do this all the time with search and Replace
    functions. If you don't know about this, either read your editors
    manual on this function or ask further here and I would be happy
    to give more detailed tips.

    There is another way to reduce the workload when making html mark
    up changes. For example, if you re making a set of pages and you
    suddenly find it growing to more than expected numbers, you might
    need to change navigation details. Instead of a page navigation
    of 9, you might want to add a 10th. I mentioned the S & R way of
    doing this. Here is another way: put such things in a text file
    of their own and use server side "includes" in your html mark-up.
    When you want to change such things, you need only change the
    text file. The server will do the rest. Read up about includes or
    ask further about them.

    There are ways to avoid the need for DW type automation in your
    developments. Simple tools, a lot with a little. As far as I can
    see, DW users do very little with a lot.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Feb 8, 2008

  3. leupi wrote:

    > I was wondering if anyone here used the Quanta HTML editor on
    > Linux.

    Yes.

    > I am trying to figure out if I can use it to create
    > templates that would can be used for all of my pages the way
    > that I could when I used Dreamweaver. Right now, when I make a
    > change to the basic design I need to go to each individual page
    > with that same change, yuck...

    Since I can't figure out what Quanta templates would be other than a
    pattern saved to use when you want to make a new one, I just do that
    -- I open an existent page, save it with a new filename, and edit it
    into what I want.

    As for making "a change to the basic design" necessitating "go[ing]
    to each individual page" to make changes, that's not the case here
    since I use CSS and PHP. I just have to change the stying or a file
    that will be included on all of my pages by the PHP scripting.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Feb 9, 2008
  4. leupi

    Leupi Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > leupi wrote:
    >
    >> I was wondering if anyone here used the Quanta HTML editor on
    >> Linux.

    > Yes.
    >
    >> I am trying to figure out if I can use it to create
    >> templates that would can be used for all of my pages the way
    >> that I could when I used Dreamweaver. Right now, when I make a
    >> change to the basic design I need to go to each individual page
    >> with that same change, yuck...

    > Since I can't figure out what Quanta templates would be other than a
    > pattern saved to use when you want to make a new one, I just do that
    > -- I open an existent page, save it with a new filename, and edit it
    > into what I want.
    >
    > As for making "a change to the basic design" necessitating "go[ing]
    > to each individual page" to make changes, that's not the case here
    > since I use CSS and PHP. I just have to change the stying or a file
    > that will be included on all of my pages by the PHP scripting.

    I do use CSS to separate the content from the presentation. The changes
    that I am referring to are more along the lines of what dorayme
    mentioned, something similar to adding another link to links section or
    changing some text that you would like displayed on all of the pages. In
    DW when I changed the template the change would reverberate to all of
    the pages that were based on that template.

    I have a template in Quanta that I base all of my pages on; however; if
    I want to change some content in that template then I need to go to each
    individual page that I based on that template and make the same change.
    I was wondering if Quanta had that same functionality that DW has in
    that respect. I know next to nothing about PHP and I am not sure how to
    use SSI. I'll look into SSI.

    Thanks,
    Todd
    Leupi, Feb 9, 2008
  5. Leupi wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> leupi wrote:
    >>
    >>> I was wondering if anyone here used the Quanta HTML editor on
    >>> Linux.

    >> Yes.
    >>
    >>> I am trying to figure out if I can use it to create
    >>> templates that would can be used for all of my pages the way
    >>> that I could when I used Dreamweaver. Right now, when I make a
    >>> change to the basic design I need to go to each individual
    >>> page with that same change, yuck...

    >> Since I can't figure out what Quanta templates would be other
    >> than a pattern saved to use when you want to make a new one, I
    >> just do that -- I open an existent page, save it with a new
    >> filename, and edit it into what I want.
    >>
    >> As for making "a change to the basic design" necessitating
    >> "go[ing] to each individual page" to make changes, that's not
    >> the case here since I use CSS and PHP. I just have to change
    >> the stying or a file that will be included on all of my pages
    >> by the PHP scripting.
    >>

    > I do use CSS to separate the content from the presentation. The
    > changes that I am referring to are more along the lines of what
    > dorayme mentioned, something similar to adding another link to
    > links section or changing some text that you would like
    > displayed on all of the pages. In DW when I changed the template
    > the change would reverberate to all of the pages that were based
    > on that template.
    >
    > I have a template in Quanta that I base all of my pages on;
    > however; if I want to change some content in that template then
    > I need to go to each individual page that I based on that
    > template and make the same change. I was wondering if Quanta had
    > that same functionality that DW has in that respect. I know next
    > to nothing about PHP

    <?php include ("$filename"); ?>

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 9, 2008