    get a website up and running very quickly. Choose from our massive
    range of free templates and premium website templates.
    For more... http://www.ezdia.com/HTML_Templates/Content.do?id=740

    Additya, Dec 18, 2009

  2. Additya

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 02:42:07 -0800 (PST), Additya wrote:

    > Many professional web developers, who have perfectly good design
    > skills, choose not to create their own websites from scratch. Instead,
    > they select a pre-built website template that they can use to base
    > their website on.
    >
    > Quackit offers a range of HTML templates that you can use to build
    > your own website. These templates are easy to use, and enable you to
    > get a website up and running very quickly. Choose from our massive
    > range of free templates and premium website templates.
    > For more... http://www.ezdia.com/HTML_Templates/Content.do?id=740

    Oh puhhhhleeeeeeeeessssssssseeeeeeee! Not another template site!
    Oh yeah like you just moved onto the planet and don't know that 10,000
    sites already huckster the same stuff right?
    With every damn one of them claiming copyright on every damn one of the
    templates.

    "Well god damnit I wrote the code for it so it's my damn copyright!"
    Hey dude? I wrote that same code 10 years ago!
    So have a million other people since. Because it's on your website, does
    not give you copyright.

    richard, Dec 20, 2009

  3. Additya

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 19 Dec 2009, richard <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 02:42:07 -0800 (PST), Additya wrote:
    >> get a website up and running very quickly. Choose from our massive
    >> range of free templates and premium website templates.

    > Oh puhhhhleeeeeeeeessssssssseeeeeeee! Not another template site!
    > Oh yeah like you just moved onto the planet and don't know that
    > 10,000 sites already huckster the same stuff right?
    > With every damn one of them claiming copyright on every damn one of
    > the templates.
    >
    > "Well god damnit I wrote the code for it so it's my damn copyright!"
    > Hey dude? I wrote that same code 10 years ago!
    > So have a million other people since. Because it's on your website,
    > does not give you copyright.

    I agree with your sentiment but the post is just spam so you could have
    at least deleted the url instead of promulgating it. Anyway, copyright
    is a *legal* entity and the originality of html markup alone certainly
    does *not* suffice to make said markup copywrited in any respect.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/

    Neredbojias, Dec 20, 2009
  4. Additya

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 07:33:45 +0000 (UTC), Neredbojias wrote:

    > On 19 Dec 2009, richard <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 02:42:07 -0800 (PST), Additya wrote:
    >>> get a website up and running very quickly. Choose from our massive
    >>> range of free templates and premium website templates.

    >> Oh puhhhhleeeeeeeeessssssssseeeeeeee! Not another template site!
    >> Oh yeah like you just moved onto the planet and don't know that
    >> 10,000 sites already huckster the same stuff right?
    >> With every damn one of them claiming copyright on every damn one of
    >> the templates.
    >>
    >> "Well god damnit I wrote the code for it so it's my damn copyright!"
    >> Hey dude? I wrote that same code 10 years ago!
    >> So have a million other people since. Because it's on your website,
    >> does not give you copyright.

    > I agree with your sentiment but the post is just spam so you could have
    > at least deleted the url instead of promulgating it. Anyway, copyright
    > is a *legal* entity and the originality of html markup alone certainly
    > does *not* suffice to make said markup copywrited in any respect.

    Of course it's spam. I just love kicking them around every now and then.
    I once got into it with some gal who tried claiming she had a copyright on
    an animated gif. Which was a similated waving american flag. I tried my
    best to explain to her, no honey, you do not have the copyright. You did
    not create the software, nor did you create the material within it. You
    just simply applied already existing code.

    And I just love the zillion "smiley" sites that all claim they own the
    copyright to the artwork. People just do not understand what copyright
    involves. They think that because it's on their website, they own the
    copyright to anything they put on it. Totally wrong.

    richard, Dec 20, 2009
  5. Additya

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 20 Dec 2009, richard <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 07:33:45 +0000 (UTC), Neredbojias wrote:
    >> I agree with your sentiment but the post is just spam so you could
    >> have at least deleted the url instead of promulgating it. Anyway,
    >> copyright is a *legal* entity and the originality of html markup
    >> alone certainly does *not* suffice to make said markup copywrited in
    >> any respect.

    > Of course it's spam. I just love kicking them around every now and
    > then. I once got into it with some gal who tried claiming she had a
    > copyright on an animated gif. Which was a similated waving american
    > flag. I tried my best to explain to her, no honey, you do not have
    > the copyright. You did not create the software, nor did you create
    > the material within it. You just simply applied already existing
    > code.
    >
    > And I just love the zillion "smiley" sites that all claim they own
    > the copyright to the artwork. People just do not understand what
    > copyright involves. They think that because it's on their website,
    > they own the copyright to anything they put on it. Totally wrong.

    Yup. General images, too. You can hand-draw an original image, scan it,
    and put it on your own website and I can save the file and use it at will
    because it ISN'T copywrited UNLESS you go thru the whole legal process to
    actually do that. Ergo, 99.999999%+ of the so-called copywrited images on
    The Net are nothing of the sort and the sites and software companies that
    try to pass them off as such are just full of crap.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/

    Neredbojias, Dec 22, 2009
  6. Additya

    David Segall Guest

    Neredbojias <> wrote:

    >You can hand-draw an original image, scan it,
    >and put it on your own website
    >because it ISN'T copywrited UNLESS you go thru the whole legal process to
    >actually do that.

    I don't know where you live but this is not true in the United States
    <http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#mywork>, the
    United Kingdom <http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/copy/c-about.htm> or
    Australia
    <http://www.ag.gov.au/www/agd/agd.nsf/Page/Copyright_Howdoyouobtaincopyrightprotection>.

    David Segall, Dec 22, 2009
  7. Additya

    Doug Miller Guest

    In article <>, Neredbojias <> wrote:

    >Yup. General images, too. You can hand-draw an original image, scan it,
    >and put it on your own website and I can save the file and use it at will
    >because it ISN'T copywrited UNLESS you go thru the whole legal process to
    >actually do that.

    That is most emphatically *not* true. Read this:
    http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

    Pay particular attention to Myth #1.

    > Ergo, 99.999999%+ of the so-called copywrited images on
    >The Net are nothing of the sort and the sites and software companies that
    >try to pass them off as such are just full of crap.

    Also incorrect.

    Doug Miller, Dec 22, 2009
  8. Additya

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 22 Dec 2009, David Segall <> wrote:

    > Neredbojias <> wrote:
    >
    >>You can hand-draw an original image, scan it,
    >>and put it on your own website
    >>because it ISN'T copywrited UNLESS you go thru the whole legal
    >>process to actually do that.

    > I don't know where you live but this is not true in the United States
    > <http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#mywork>, the
    > United Kingdom <http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/copy/c-about.htm> or
    > Australia
    > <http://www.ag.gov.au/www/agd/agd.nsf/Page/Copyright_Howdoyouobtaincop
    > yrightprotection>.

    I read your links and found them very interesting and informative (even
    the one from Australia). However, other forms of babble can be much
    more entertaining and legalese was never that popular as an art form.

    Ask yourself how many "copywrited" images are posted on The Web yearly
    and how many copywrite-infringement cases are successfully resolved
    from that group. IOW, what is the ratio? I deal in reality, not
    iconoclasm, and if you choose to believe all that crap you
    hypothetically read, you still shouldn't try to deceive the public with
    tenets that are essentially the fabric of fantasy.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/

    Neredbojias, Dec 23, 2009
  9. Additya

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 22 Dec 2009, (Doug Miller) wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Neredbojias <> wrote:
    >
    >>Yup. General images, too. You can hand-draw an original image, scan
    >>it, and put it on your own website and I can save the file and use it
    >>at will because it ISN'T copywrited UNLESS you go thru the whole
    >>legal process to actually do that.

    > That is most emphatically *not* true. Read this:
    > http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html
    >
    > Pay particular attention to Myth #1.

    Curious but irrelevant. In a practical and real sense, that is all
    hogwash.

    >> Ergo, 99.999999%+ of the so-called copywrited images on
    >>The Net are nothing of the sort and the sites and software companies
    >>that try to pass them off as such are just full of crap.

    > Also incorrect.

    Depends on how you define "copywrite". I define it as a work able to
    be protected, so your hand-crafted image of a goose and a turkey is
    veritable fodder for my "fowl play".

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/

    Neredbojias, Dec 23, 2009
  10. Additya

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 22 Dec 2009, Sherm Pendley <> wrote:

    > Neredbojias <> writes:
    >
    >> Yup. General images, too. You can hand-draw an original image,
    >> scan it, and put it on your own website and I can save the file and
    >> use it at will because it ISN'T copywrited UNLESS you go thru the
    >> whole legal process to actually do that.

    > From the US Copyright Office FAQ:
    >
    > "Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
    >
    > No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the
    > moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if
    > you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work."
    >
    > From <http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#register>

    ""Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
    No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the
    moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you
    wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work""

    So...if you DON'T register, is the "copywrite" enforcible? If your
    answer is "Yes,", how?

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/

    Neredbojias, Dec 23, 2009
  11. Additya

    Doug Miller Guest

    In article <>, Neredbojias <> wrote:

    >Ask yourself how many "copywrited" images are posted on The Web yearly
    >and how many copywrite-infringement cases are successfully resolved
    >from that group. IOW, what is the ratio?

    You seem to think that the number of successful infringement cases somehow has
    some bearing on the issue.

    > I deal in reality,

    Apparently not. Reality is that, by international convention, copyright
    inheres in the work from the moment of its creation, whether or not the
    creator takes any particular steps to assert or defend his copyright.

    Doug Miller, Dec 23, 2009
  12. Additya

    Doug Miller Guest

    In article <>, Neredbojias <> wrote:
    >On 22 Dec 2009, (Doug Miller) wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> Neredbojias <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Yup. General images, too. You can hand-draw an original image, scan
    >>>it, and put it on your own website and I can save the file and use it
    >>>at will because it ISN'T copywrited UNLESS you go thru the whole
    >>>legal process to actually do that.

    >> That is most emphatically *not* true. Read this:
    >> http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html
    >>
    >> Pay particular attention to Myth #1.

    >Curious but irrelevant. In a practical and real sense, that is all
    >hogwash.

    Actually, it's quite relevant. Perhaps you didn't read it very carefully. In a
    practical and real sense, you can be sued for using copyrighted material
    without consent.

    >>> Ergo, 99.999999%+ of the so-called copywrited images on
    >>>The Net are nothing of the sort and the sites and software companies
    >>>that try to pass them off as such are just full of crap.

    >> Also incorrect.

    >Depends on how you define "copywrite". I define it as a work able to
    >be protected, so your hand-crafted image of a goose and a turkey is
    >veritable fodder for my "fowl play".

    Sorry, but you don't get to pick your own definitions, especially for terms
    that have well-established and internationally recognized meanings.

    The word is "copyright", BTW.

    Doug Miller, Dec 23, 2009
  13. Additya

    Doug Miller Guest

    In article <>, Neredbojias <> wrote:

    >So...if you DON'T register, is the "copywrite" enforcible?

    Sheesh. It's "copyright" -- the right to copy.

    Doug Miller, Dec 23, 2009
  14. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Neredbojias
    <> writing in

    > On 22 Dec 2009, Sherm Pendley <> wrote:
    >
    >> Neredbojias <> writes:
    >>
    >>> Yup. General images, too. You can hand-draw an original image,
    >>> scan it, and put it on your own website and I can save the file and
    >>> use it at will because it ISN'T copywrited UNLESS you go thru the
    >>> whole legal process to actually do that.

    >> From the US Copyright Office FAQ:
    >>
    >> "Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
    >>
    >> No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the
    >> moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if
    >> you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work."
    >>
    >> From <http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#register>

    > ""Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
    > No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the
    > moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you
    > wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work""
    >
    > So...if you DON'T register, is the "copywrite" enforcible? If your
    > answer is "Yes,", how?

    As with everything else, it's burden of proof. If I have a doodad that
    I created on January 1, 1998 and you make a copy of it and publish it on
    June 9, 2008, if I can prove that I created the work before you
    published it, then I'm good to go.

    That's why people put written works in an envelope and mail it to
    themselves, because the postmark would provide proof of date.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Dec 23, 2009
  15. Sherm Pendley wrote:
    > Neredbojias <> writes:
    >
    >> Yup. General images, too. You can hand-draw an original image, scan it,
    >> and put it on your own website and I can save the file and use it at will
    >> because it ISN'T copywrited UNLESS you go thru the whole legal process to
    >> actually do that.

    > From the US Copyright Office FAQ:
    >
    > "Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
    >
    > No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the
    > moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if
    > you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work."
    >
    > From <http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#register>

    But you can wait until after you've discovered an infringement to
    register the copyright, and then proceed with your suit.

    There are certain extra benefits, in the event of a lawsuit, to be
    gained by having registered the work within five years of its creation,
    and more by having registered it within several months.

    Harlan Messinger, Dec 23, 2009
  16. Additya

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns9CEA4F880CD04arbpenyahoocom@188.40.43.213>,
    Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:

    > That's why people put written works in an envelope and mail it to
    > themselves, because the postmark would provide proof of date.

    Every week I mail an almost empty envelope to myself to provide a cover
    for any miracles that might happen in the future (like that I make
    something I jealously want to guard). Inside, an extra feature in my
    technique, I leave a blank folded A4. This is very faintly -
    forensically extractable - impressed with the brutal date stamping on
    the outside during its travels.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Dec 23, 2009
  17. Additya

    David Segall Guest

    Neredbojias <> wrote:

    >On 22 Dec 2009, David Segall <> wrote:
    >
    >> Neredbojias <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>You can hand-draw an original image, scan it,
    >>>and put it on your own website
    >>>because it ISN'T copywrited UNLESS you go thru the whole legal
    >>>process to actually do that.

    >> I don't know where you live but this is not true in the United States
    >> <http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#mywork>, the
    >> United Kingdom <http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/copy/c-about.htm> or
    >> Australia
    >> <http://www.ag.gov.au/www/agd/agd.nsf/Page/Copyright_Howdoyouobtaincopyrightprotection>.

    >I read your links and found them very interesting and informative (even
    >the one from Australia). However, other forms of babble can be much
    >more entertaining and legalese was never that popular as an art form.

    You gave what you thought was legal advice. It does not need to be a
    popular art form. It does need to be correct.

    A web designer that followed your advice could face a major redesign
    if they followed your advice and based their design on copyrighted
    material that they were then forced to remove.

    David Segall, Dec 24, 2009
  18. Additya

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 23 Dec 2009, David Segall <> wrote:

    > Neredbojias <> wrote:

    >>> I don't know where you live but this is not true in the United
    >>> States <http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#mywork>,
    >>> the United Kingdom <http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/copy/c-about.htm>
    >>> or Australia
    >>> <http://www.ag.gov.au/www/agd/agd.nsf/Page/Copyright_Howdoyouobtainc
    >>> opyrightprotection>.

    >>I read your links and found them very interesting and informative
    >>(even the one from Australia). However, other forms of babble can be
    >>much more entertaining and legalese was never that popular as an art
    >>form.

    > You gave what you thought was legal advice. It does not need to be a
    > popular art form. It does need to be correct.
    >
    > A web designer that followed your advice could face a major redesign
    > if they followed your advice and based their design on copyrighted
    > material that they were then forced to remove.

    Okay, that *could* happen. But what are the chances? And if the
    so-called copywrighted material ain't been registered, there is nothing
    to force the intrepid designer to capitulate besides pure bluff,
    anyway. However, I do admit that that probably does work in the
    majority of cases.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/

    Neredbojias, Dec 24, 2009
  19. Additya

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 22 Dec 2009, (Doug Miller) wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Neredbojias <> wrote:
    >>On 22 Dec 2009, (Doug Miller) wrote:

    >>> That is most emphatically *not* true. Read this:
    >>> http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html
    >>>
    >>> Pay particular attention to Myth #1.

    >>Curious but irrelevant. In a practical and real sense, that is all
    >>hogwash.

    > Actually, it's quite relevant. Perhaps you didn't read it very
    > carefully. In a practical and real sense, you can be sued for using
    > copyrighted material without consent.

    One can be sued for almost anything. I'm sure you can
    research-and-discover several cases where a defendant was successfully
    sued for copywright infringment but I am saying that there are several
    *million* where it hasn't happened.

    >>> Also incorrect.

    >>Depends on how you define "copywrite". I define it as a work able to
    >>be protected, so your hand-crafted image of a goose and a turkey is
    >>veritable fodder for my "fowl play".

    > Sorry, but you don't get to pick your own definitions, especially for
    > terms that have well-established and internationally recognized
    > meanings.

    Ultimately, any definition is defined by myself as it relates to me so
    actually I do get to pick, so to speak.

    > The word is "copyright", BTW.

    Oh.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/

    Neredbojias, Dec 24, 2009
  20. Additya

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 22 Dec 2009, Sherm Pendley <> wrote:

    > Neredbojias <> writes:
    >
    >> Depends on how you define "copywrite".

    > It's spelled "copyright," and neither you nor I have any say in its
    > definition - it's defined by assorted laws and international
    > treaties. You're entitled to your opinion of copyright law as it's
    > written - and to be honest I'm mostly with you on that - but your
    > opinion of it doesn't change what it is.

    I may have nothing to say about the legal definition of the word but
    the practical definition lies well within the realm of my deductive
    reasoning.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/