query regarding perl module installation in local directory

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by contactviswa@gmail.com, Jul 28, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I am a beginner in perl. I have been trying to install perl modules
    XML::RegExp in my local directory. I followed a lot of literature on
    the web. I used the sequence given by all of them: 1. Download and
    untar and unzip the module 2. cd to the directory /home/daitav/xml/
    temp/XML-RegExp-0.03 3. perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/home/daitav/xml/temp
    With this I tried LIB=/home/daitav/xml/temp once and INSTALLDIRS=/temp
    options at different time. 4. make 5. make test 6. make install. When
    I executed the last command I am always getting an error that I am
    unable to write to the the place where actual perl libraries are
    sitting and this does not point to my local directory(I donot recall
    the path but these were what I found to be present in the @INC
    variable). I tried finding out installation directory after using
    PREFIX=/home/daitav/xml/temp. I got an 'undefined' for the
    installuserbindirs. If I use the INSTALLDIR cmd line option then I get
    make error that pure_temp_install rule was not found by pure_install
    which is called in Makemaker.pm. I am unable to figure out where I am
    going wrong or what I doing incorrect? Could you please let me know
    what is the mistake I have committed? I am in an urgent need to use
    this. Looking forward to your early responses, Thanks, Viswa.

    , Jul 28, 2007

    On Jul 28, 10:08 pm, wrote:
    > I am a beginner in perl. I have been trying to install perl modules
    > XML::RegExp in my local directory. I followed a lot of literature on
    > the web. I used the sequence given by all of them: 1. Download and
    > untar and unzip the module 2. cd to the directory /home/daitav/xml/
    > temp/XML-RegExp-0.03 3. perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/home/daitav/xml/temp
    > With this I tried LIB=/home/daitav/xml/temp once and INSTALLDIRS=/temp
    > options at different time. 4. make 5. make test 6. make install. When
    > I executed the last command I am always getting an error that I am
    > unable to write to the the place where actual perl libraries are
    > sitting and this does not point to my local directory(I donot recall
    > the path but these were what I found to be present in the @INC
    > variable). I tried finding out installation directory after using
    > PREFIX=/home/daitav/xml/temp. I got an 'undefined' for the
    > installuserbindirs. If I use the INSTALLDIR cmd line option then I get
    > make error that pure_temp_install rule was not found by pure_install
    > which is called in Makemaker.pm. I am unable to figure out where I am
    > going wrong or what I doing incorrect? Could you please let me know
    > what is the mistake I have committed? I am in an urgent need to use
    > this. Looking forward to your early responses, Thanks, Viswa.

    #!/usrbin/perl
    use lib '/path/to/user/modules';
    use XML::RegExp;

    , Jul 28, 2007