Question about CLC

Mark McIntyre

Mark McIntyre said:

No, Mark, Usenet *is* (a small part of) real life.
It doesn't take part in some alternate universe.

I quite agree - that was essentially my point.

CBFalconer

(e-mail address removed) (Kenny McCormack) wrote:
.... snip ...

See, Jacob is just a notorious spammer (I forgot other things,
this one is the latest I saw), which, despite his inability to
learn, should be taught. But nobody won't talk to a troll. You
admitted you are a troll, so now nobody (of self-respecting
people, that is) can talk to you, because OMGZ you are a troll.

Reaching Kenny through the quote. He doesn't seem to realize that
he is almost universally plonked, so his junk doesn't annoy
anyone. No religion involved. However, we still see the glimmer
of hope in Jacob, so some of us try to improve him.

ymuntyan

See, Jacob is just a notorious spammer (I forgot
other things, this one is the latest I saw), which,
despite his inability to learn, should be taught.

6 of one, half dozen of another. Jacob is not going to "change his
ways" here as a result of crap spewed at him by the likes of heathfield,
et al - anymore than I am. Of this, I am absolutely sure.[/QUOTE]

I thought what I said was obvious crap, but
apparently I somehow caught the style of
Richard Heathfield, so it sounded well and
good or something. Amazing!
You're a contrarian, too - they don't like you anymore than they like
me, so I'm not sure whose ass you're trying to kiss.

Thank you very much, I'll do fine without
ass-kissing for now.

Default User

user923005 said:
There are people who don't learn at all (e.g. Nudds) because they
literally have no interest in learning.
There are people who learn very slowly but they do learn (ACL).

I am not sure about Jacob yet. I think he is intelligent and I think
he sometimes has interesting ideas.

After this much time, and this many arguments, I've seen zero evidence
that he's willing to abide by the consensus regarding topicality.
Again, look at the recent threads, look at the number of posts from
Jacob. No sign of a clue from what I can tell. I do have him killfiled,
but it's almost like I don't.

I could (and I thought about) installing a filter to kill any post in
reply to him. However, that doesn't help the group at large.

Brian

--
+-------------------+ .:\:\:/:/:.
+-------------------+ / \
| | @@@ / /|,,,,,|\ \
| | @@@ /_// /^\ \\_\
@x@@x@ | | |/ WW( ( ) )WW
\||||/ | | \| __\,,\ /,,/__
\||/ | | | jgs (______Y______)
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\//\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

fix (vb.): 1. to paper over, obscure, hide from public view; 2.
to work around, in a way that produces unintended consequences
that are worse than the original problem. Usage: "Windows ME
fixes many of the shortcomings of Windows 98 SE". - Hutchinson

Keith Thompson

CBFalconer said:
Reaching Kenny through the quote. He doesn't seem to realize that
he is almost universally plonked, so his junk doesn't annoy
anyone. No religion involved. However, we still see the glimmer
of hope in Jacob, so some of us try to improve him.

Also, Kenny usually doesn't make many technical errors that call for
correction. jacob does. (So do I, of course; nobody is perfect.)

Unfortunately, Kenny has recently started posting more technical
statements, many of them wrong.

James Kuyper

On Dec 28, 5:09 pm, (e-mail address removed) (Kenny McCormack)
wrote: ....

See, Jacob is just a notorious spammer (I forgot
other things, this one is the latest I saw), which,
despite his inability to learn, should be taught.
But nobody won't talk to a troll. You admitted you
are a troll, so now nobody (of self-respecting
people, that is) can talk to you, because OMGZ
you are a troll.

And, reading between the lines, it appears that the fact that no one
wants to listen to a troll like him is actually bothering him. Amusing.

Richard Harter

After this much time, and this many arguments, I've seen zero evidence
that he's willing to abide by the consensus regarding topicality.
Again, look at the recent threads, look at the number of posts from
Jacob. No sign of a clue from what I can tell. I do have him killfiled,
but it's almost like I don't.

Just as a side note, the word, consensus, has two meanings. The
earlier (and more meaningful) is common agreement among all
parties; the later is majority opinion. Under the first meaning
there is no consensus as you have testified. The problem with
the second is "Who is the majority and what are they the majority
of?" There is a third usage that seems to be in play here -
general agreement among those who happen to agree.

Army1987

Richard said:
jacob navia said:

No, it was a bad time for you, whether you realise it or not, because it
meant that fewer of your mistakes were corrected, so you had fewer
opportunities to learn.
That would only apply if he *did* learn something when his mistakes are
corrected.
<g,d&r>

Kenny McCormack

And, reading between the lines, it appears that the fact that no one
wants to listen to a troll like him is actually bothering him. Amusing.

hah hah hah. You go, girl!

Army1987

ymuntyan said:
See, Jacob is just a notorious spammer (I forgot
other things, this one is the latest I saw), which,
despite his inability to learn, should be taught.
But nobody won't talk to a troll. You admitted you
are a troll, so now nobody (of self-respecting
people, that is) can talk to you, because OMGZ
you are a troll.

And, what's more, Kenny isn't maintaining a C compiler AFAIK, so his
ignorance won't cause people to be left puzzling on why their correct
program doesn't behave as it should or triggers strange compiler warnings.

Peter 'Shaggy' Haywood

Groovy hepcat jacob navia was jivin' in comp.lang.c on Sat, 29 Dec 2007
11:02 am. It's a cool scene! Dig it.

The troll known as Kenny McCormack is wallowing at the bottom of every
clueful clc participant's kill file. That's why "these guys steadfastly
refuse to respond" to his garbage. Or, to put it another way for the
South Park fans...

Oh my god! They kill filed Kenny! You bastards!

Kenny McCormack

Groovy hepcat jacob navia was jivin' in comp.lang.c on Sat, 29 Dec 2007
11:02 am. It's a cool scene! Dig it.

The troll known as Kenny McCormack is wallowing at the bottom of every
clueful clc participant's kill file. That's why "these guys steadfastly
refuse to respond" to his garbage.

This is (surprise! surprise!) a(nother) lie.

First, I know for a fact that at least one "regular" does not use a
killfile (this person states this directly every so often) and that this
person does specifically read (but never respond to) my posts.

Second, I assume most of the rest of you are just lying. We've come to
expect that by now.

Third, again, as I say, I don't understand why you bother lobbing your
sh*t at Jacob. It doesn't stick to him anymore than it would to me.

pete

Masood said:
Hi all,

I've been reading this group new for a few weeks and it's quite
intriguing the way it's so dysfunctional as a "society".

It's probably for the same reason
that it's so dysfunctional as a "shoe lace".

I'm not here to socialize.

I post here to discuss C,
for the purpose of deepening my own understanding of the language.

Other people also post here to discuss C,
often enough to make it worth my while to read this newsgroup.

When they post here to discuss C seriously,
then they are valuable to me.

When they don't, then they aren't.

Ico

Kenny McCormack said:
But I think the main reason the newsgroup continues is because of the
core of regulars and contrarians (*), who never seem to tire of sniping at
each other. Face it, it *is* fun.

I second that: it is not only fun for the participators but also for the
more passive audience. I came here once to discuss topics involving the
C language, but these days I mostly read this newsgroup for its excellent
flames.

Hallvard B Furuseth

Richard said:
Well, to be fair, we don't know which aspects of comp.lang.c "Masood"
thinks are dysfunctional. If he is perceptive, he will recognise that
there is a small group of people who post regularly, and yet contribute
nothing positive to the group: (...)

And by attacking a bunch of named individuals, several of whom may not
even be reading this thread, you've just given a fine demonstration of
dysfunctional behaviour of this group. And one reason why your name
belongs near or at the top of such a list of this group's problems. You
were not the first here with an unprovoked personal attack (jacob/
"Richard", are you listening?), but you are the group's bloody top
poster, with more articles than all of your chosen "problem individuals"
together.

Hallvard B Furuseth

Try "news.groups" (group about newsgroup creation/policy etc). You need
to know the meaning of various insults there just to see who/what many
of the threads are talking about.
However, he remains off-topic. Maybe on rec.humor, say?

Unlike your posting, or the rest of this thread?

user923005

And by attacking a bunch of named individuals, several of whom may not
even be reading this thread, you've just given a fine demonstration of
dysfunctional behaviour of this group.  And one reason why your name
belongs near or at the top of such a list of this group's problems.  You
were not the first here with an unprovoked personal attack (jacob/
"Richard", are you listening?), but you are the group's bloody top
poster, with more articles than all of your chosen "problem individuals"
together.

I guess that it is a good idea to lurk for a while and read the forum
before you start venturing opinions.

IMO-YMMV.

jameskuyper

user923005 said:
On Jan 3, 11:08�am, Hallvard B Furuseth <[email protected]>
wrote: ...

I guess that it is a good idea to lurk for a while and read the forum
before you start venturing opinions.

Are you talking about Hallvard? According to Google, he's posted 763
messages to this group since 1993-08-20. He's well past the lurker
phase.

Al Balmer

And by attacking a bunch of named individuals, several of whom may not
even be reading this thread, you've just given a fine demonstration of
dysfunctional behaviour of this group. And one reason why your name
belongs near or at the top of such a list of this group's problems. You
were not the first here with an unprovoked personal attack (jacob/
"Richard", are you listening?), but you are the group's bloody top
poster, with more articles than all of your chosen "problem individuals"
together.

<G> And just about any one of them is worth more than all the articles
written by those listed.

If Richard Heathfield is the top poster, that's a good thing. If one
of the "problem individuals" were, the NG wouldn't be worth reading.