Question about magic enumerators in > 1.8

dblack

Hi --

Can someone jog my memory, and/or enlighten me, as to what a case
would be where it's useful to have:

array.map

return an Enumerator? I can't seem to come up with an example where:

array.map.anything

is different from

array.anything

Thanks --

David

http://www.manning.com/black => RUBY FOR RAILS, the Ruby book for
Rails developers
http://dablog.rubypal.com => D[avid ]A[. ]B[lack's][ Web]log
(e-mail address removed) => me

James Edward Gray II

Hi --

Can someone jog my memory, and/or enlighten me, as to what a case
would be where it's useful to have:

array.map

return an Enumerator? I can't seem to come up with an example where:

array.map.anything

is different from

array.anything

Thanks --

Well, you can use it to roll the oft-requested map_with_index():

array.each_with_index.map { |obj, i| .. }

That's not a map() example though, so maybe not what you wanted.

James Edward Gray II

dblack

Hi --

Well, you can use it to roll the oft-requested map_with_index():

array.each_with_index.map { |obj, i| .. }

That's not a map() example though, so maybe not what you wanted.

Right, it isn't :) I'm still looking for a map example.

David

http://www.manning.com/black => RUBY FOR RAILS, the Ruby book for
Rails developers
http://dablog.rubypal.com => D[avid ]A[. ]B[lack's][ Web]log
(e-mail address removed) => me

Logan Capaldo

Hi --

Well, you can use it to roll the oft-requested map_with_index():

array.each_with_index.map { |obj, i| .. }

That's not a map() example though, so maybe not what you wanted.

Right, it isn't :) I'm still looking for a map example.

David

http://www.manning.com/black => RUBY FOR RAILS, the Ruby book for
Rails developers
http://dablog.rubypal.com => D[avid ]A[. ]B[lack's][ Web]log
(e-mail address removed) => me

Contrived example: I know a method I'm about to call iterates thru me
with each doing something. It's the last thing it does and what the
results of the thing it does rather than myself at the end:

some_method(array.map)

Ok so it's a REALLY contrived example.

ts

d> return an Enumerator? I can't seem to come up with an example where:

d> array.map.anything

d> is different from

d> array.anything

moulon% ./ruby -e '[12].map.with_index {}'
moulon%

moulon% ./ruby -e '[12].with_index {}'
-e:1: undefined method `with_index' for [12]:Array (NoMethodError)
moulon%

p.s.:
:))))