Question about TiledImage, Graphics2D, JAI

Gavin Rough

I've combed through everything I can find, bought a fat book on JAI,
and haven't been able to put together a strait answer to this question:

How do I create an arbitrarily large TiledImage from scratch (lacking a
source image) and draw onto it using the TiledImage's graphics context
( TiledImage.createGraphics() ) without causing an
OutOfMemoryException?

The content of the image would be purely Graphics2D geometry. I don't
need to read in any external images, just to be able to create, and
draw on, very large blank images. I'm assuming that TiledImage is the
most appropriate class for this, but haven't been able to find any
sample implementations.

There must be some way to draw on a TiledImage as one unified image,
while still managing memory using tiles.

If anybody has any tips, or are able to break this down for me a little
bit I would be very, very grateful. I'm an amateur programmer and have
been struggling with this problem for a while.

Thanks,
Gavin