Speed comparison of JAI to Producer/Consumer

Discussion in 'Java' started by Mark McKay, Dec 9, 2003.

  1. Mark McKay

    Mark McKay Guest

    I've been using Java for processing graphics for a few months, and
    looking for some advice about effiency regarding the growing variety
    of imaging options. So far I've stuck with the old producer/consumer
    model, since it seems to me to be very speedy (my primary concern) and
    it's possible to build the image data directly in an array. I've used
    the Java2D functions a bit, and while I like the fancy tools like
    spline drawing and gradient fills, I've stayed away because I've found
    that BufferedImages take a great deal of time to modify and to render
    to screen.

    I've started reading the documents for JAI recently, and wondering if
    it's worth while switching from the producer/consumer model to the
    JAI. I'm worried that since (as far as I can tell) it focuses on
    reproducing portions of an image on demand that there will be a lot of
    excessive recalculations each time I render an image to screen.

    Would anyone know:
    Is the producer/consumer system accelerated with native code (for
    things such as grabbing pixels or producing new images from arrays of
    bytes)?
    Given that all my image producers will be able to produce their data
    immediately, will the JAI pull model give me any advantages?
    Does the JAI work well with VolitileImages?

    Thanks

    Mark McKay
    Mark McKay, Dec 9, 2003