Question about webhost, what is Transfer Domain?

Nick

hi, all
I just started to create my own website and I registered a new domain
from yahoo, and then I want to register a webhost plan. And how to use
this domain I registered? What I undertood about transfer domain is I
can transfer the domain to the webhost vendor, and they can config it
on their server to point this domain to my web pages, is this right? Is
the transfer domain free?

Thanks.

Peter Rilling

Usually if you own a domain and have an account with some hosting provider,
the transfer is free.

Well, when you say "transfer" what do you mean? Domain names are registered
with some company such as Register.com or Network Solutions. Those domain
names can then be pointed toward your hosting provider and configured. Is
Yahoo your registrar or your hosting provider, or both.

First you need to get yourself a domain (sounds like you already did that).
Once you own the domain, then you can choose your hosting provider (often
the hosting provider will allow you to register the domain when you setup
your account). The domain is made up of records some of which point to the
DNS servers that are maintained by your hosting provider.

Now, that my words have probably totally confused you, your hosting provider
should have an area that will help you point your domain to their servers.
Hosting providers will normally name it as easy as possible, otherwise
people will not want to use them.