Question with replacing PERL with ASP.NET & WCF

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by John Yee, Nov 16, 2011.

  1. John Yee

    John Yee Guest

    Hi,

    I a writting a analysis of a current PERL system which has a server pl
    file that opens a socket to listen to incoming message. On the client,
    there is another pl file which create a socket to send messages to the
    server. The webforms are basically HTML which calls pl files to
    process the incoming message, which are saved to text files.

    I recommended the following upgrades:

    OPTION #1

    1. Replace the server socket listner pl file with WCF web service

    2. Replace the client pl with a regular C# execute which accept
    argument and send the SOAP message to the WCF mesage

    3. Replace the HTML webforms and all the pl helper subroutine files
    with ASP.NET

    4. Replace the flat text files with SQL SERVER Compact (no database
    server - not on budget)

    OPTION #2 ?

    Is there is an cheaper alternative instead WCF web services. Can a
    simple C# socket listerner or something else to developed to

    replace the PERL socket listener. Basically a .NET replacement. If so,
    how can it be hosted on the IIS. WCF can be deployed in an application
    pool to handle many requests. How will a simple C# listener do this?

    Can the PERL client be replace with a C# executable that does not open
    a socket but send soap message to the web server and the c# listener
    to process the requests.

    The current HTML files are embeded with PERL references to process the
    requests. If the clients want to keep the HTML as is, what can replace
    the PERL references in the HTML files to process the request.
    What .NET technologies?

    Are there better upgrade options. What are the other technologies to
    upgrade this very old PERL system? Other technologies is good to hear.

    Thanks,
    John Yee, Nov 16, 2011

  2. John Yee

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 11/16/2011 6:42 AM, John Yee wrote:
    > I a writting a analysis of a current PERL system which has a server pl
    > file that opens a socket to listen to incoming message. On the client,
    > there is another pl file which create a socket to send messages to the
    > server. The webforms are basically HTML which calls pl files to
    > process the incoming message, which are saved to text files.
    >
    > I recommended the following upgrades:
    >
    > OPTION #1
    >
    > 1. Replace the server socket listner pl file with WCF web service
    >
    > 2. Replace the client pl with a regular C# execute which accept
    > argument and send the SOAP message to the WCF mesage
    >
    > 3. Replace the HTML webforms and all the pl helper subroutine files
    > with ASP.NET
    >
    > 4. Replace the flat text files with SQL SERVER Compact (no database
    > server - not on budget)
    >
    > OPTION #2 ?
    >
    > Is there is an cheaper alternative instead WCF web services. Can a
    > simple C# socket listerner or something else to developed to
    > replace the PERL socket listener. Basically a .NET replacement.

    If the messages are structured then WCF is definitely a good choice.

    If the messages are unstructured - one byte array or one string - then
    a socket server in C# would also be a viable solution.

    > If so,
    > how can it be hosted on the IIS. WCF can be deployed in an application
    > pool to handle many requests. How will a simple C# listener do this?

    You can host WCF in ASP.NET/IIS or in itself.

    A socket server should not be hosted in ASP.NET/IIS - it should
    self host.

    Why should that be a problem? A windows service should work fine.

    > Can the PERL client be replace with a C# executable that does not open
    > a socket but send soap message to the web server and the c# listener
    > to process the requests.

    A C# client can use both a WCF service and a socket server.

    > The current HTML files are embeded with PERL references to process the
    > requests. If the clients want to keep the HTML as is, what can replace
    > the PERL references in the HTML files to process the request.
    > What .NET technologies?

    Don't mix HTML with code.

    > Are there better upgrade options. What are the other technologies to
    > upgrade this very old PERL system? Other technologies is good to hear.

    Most technologies could do this job.

    Java
    Ruby
    Python