Question: XMLHttpRequest

Gregor Kofler

David Mark meinte:
I haven't really touched the public site since then and I know there
are a few bugs (see posts the discussion group.) I plan to take some
time this fall to finish the documentation and test the latest
agents. Until then, it is not recommended for public use.

It's relatively hard to find (compared to jQuery and its comrades). But
since Matt asked so fervoursly for alternatives... (He also promised to
look into the code.)

Gregor

Matt

Anyway, David has his library on the web. [1]

I like a lot of the concepts mentioned...like the "Builder" for 1, so
you only get what you need. Very nice, like MooTools. Also, the
feature detection sounds good. What's the status of that project?
There a lot of broken links. If this project is something that is
being actively developed, I might have to abandon Prototype.

David Mark

Anyway, David has his library on the web. [1]

I like a lot of the concepts mentioned...like the "Builder" for 1, so
you only get what you need.  Very nice, like MooTools.  Also, the

Thanks. Modularity was one of the projects' aims.
feature detection sounds good.  What's the status of that project?

See my reply to Gregor.
There a lot of broken links.  If this project is something that is
being actively developed, I might have to abandon Prototype.

You should abandon Prototype anyway.

Also, Peter's "Fork JavaScript" is very good and AFAIK ready for
production use.

David Mark

There a lot of broken links.  If this project is something that is
being actively developed, I might have to abandon Prototype.

Those links were to the now defunct CWR project. I need to remove
them (among other things.)

q-rious

[lots of discussion]

Okay folks, I am new to this and I did not understand all the things
that you guys discussed. I went back and read the 'same origin
policy'. If my understanding is correct, no one can ever fetch an XML
file from some other site and parse it using javascript (and
XMLHttpRequest). The only exceptions would be like 'signed scripts'
and activeX controls (both of which are beyond me at this point). I am
a bit surprised by the 'same origin policy' since I am sure someone
must have parsed some RSS feed from another site using Javascript
before me.

Looking for more help. Thanks.

John G Harris

Can someone give some specific examples of these alleged "bugs" in
Prototype? I'm hearing a LOT of conjecture about Prototype being crap.

It takes half a minute for the js file to crawl down the wire before you
see anything useful in the web page. That's a bug.

John