    your display? Or would it just make more of a mess?

    I know it's not a js-related question, but the end result will be a js-
    based solution if renaming the threads would be useful.

    nick, May 19, 2010

  2. nick

    Scott Sauyet Guest

    Stefan Weiss wrote:
    > On 19/05/10 02:43, nick wrote:
    > BTW, I would really suggest you try a real newsreader instead of Google
    > Groups. I see so many regulars posting via Google, and for the life of
    > me I can't understand it. A dedicated program, or even a combination
    > like Thunderbird, gives you so much more performance and a much better
    > overview. Not to speak of the other usual features like scoring,
    > killfiles, etc.

    Nick might well be in a similar situation to me. I could easily use a
    newsreader at home (and I do use Thunderbird for some NNTP servers)
    but I do a lot of my posting from work, and I have not found any way
    to use a newsreader through the filters, whereas I can easily use GG
    there. Often that simply spills over to home. I have an eternal-
    september account, and could use it at home, but then that's two
    different interfaces to the same content, which gets confusing.

    It's a shame, because the benefits you describe for newreaders over GG
    are, if anything, understated. But there doesn't seem to be much for
    me to do.

    -- Scott

    Scott Sauyet, May 19, 2010

  3. [OT] Re: Quick question about newsreaders and post titles

    Scott Sauyet <> writes:

    > Nick might well be in a similar situation to me. I could easily use a
    > newsreader at home (and I do use Thunderbird for some NNTP servers)
    > but I do a lot of my posting from work, and I have not found any way
    > to use a newsreader through the filters, whereas I can easily use GG

    Whenever I want to check the newsgroups at work (like now), I just take
    an ssh connection to my home computer and start the same newsreader I
    use at home, using the same .newsrc file and all the same
    configurations.

    Ever since the late 1980's when I found out usenet, I used to take the
    ssh or telnet connection to my isp's shell computer for newsreading both
    from home and from office, but they shut down the shell computer on
    January with no replacement, so I had to start running the newsreader at
    home.

    --
    Jukka Lahtinen

    Jukka Lahtinen, May 19, 2010
  4. nick

    Scott Sauyet Guest

    On May 19, 7:56 am, Jukka Lahtinen <>
    wrote:
    > Scott Sauyet <> writes:
    >> Nick might well be in a similar situation to me.  I could easily use a
    >> newsreader at home (and I do use Thunderbird for some NNTP servers)
    >> but I do a lot of my posting from work, and I have not found any way
    >> to use a newsreader through the filters, whereas I can easily use GG

    > Whenever I want to check the newsgroups at work (like now), I just take
    > an ssh connection to my home computer and start the same newsreader I
    > use at home, using the same .newsrc file and all the same
    > configurations.

    That's an interesting possibility I never considered. I don't like
    the idea of leaving my home machine running all the time, but I will
    certainly think about it.

    > Ever since the late 1980's when I found out usenet, I used to take the
    > ssh or telnet connection to my isp's shell computer for newsreading both
    > from home and from office, but they shut down the shell computer on
    > January with no replacement, so I had to start running the newsreader at
    > home.

    That's another approach I never considered. I have several servers I
    can ssh into that might work. I'll have to see if any of them work.

    Thanks for the ideas,

    --
    Scott

    Scott Sauyet, May 19, 2010