QuickTime for Java: Applet crashes JVM and browsers on Windows

Discussion in 'Java' started by Mike, Jul 29, 2005.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I've written an applet that uses QuickTime for Java to display some
    video. I can run the applet in the appletviewer (with a sufficiently
    lax security policy), but if I try to run it in a Web browser, the JVM
    and browser crash. Both IE6 and Firefox are affected. I'm using the
    Java plugin 1.5.0_02, and Windows XP.

    The HotSpot error log (here hs_err_pid3044.log) starts out with the
    following lines:

    #
    # An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:
    #
    # EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x6d6c9ab4, pid=3044,
    tid=3140
    #
    # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.5.0_02-b09 mixed mode,
    sharing)
    # Problematic frame:
    # V [jvm.dll+0x89ab4]
    #

    and here's the top of the call stack:

    Java frames: (J=compiled Java code, j=interpreted, Vv=VM code)
    j quicktime.WinNativeHelper.getDrawingSurface(Ljava/awt/Component;)I+0
    j quicktime.WinJNIDrawingSurface.<init>(Ljava/awt/Component;)V+16
    j quicktime.QTSession$QTFrame.addNotify()V+24
    j java.awt.Window.pack()V+28
    j quicktime.QTSession.initialize(ILjava/lang/Class;)V+101
    j quicktime.QTSession.initialize(I)V+2
    j quicktime.QTSession.open(III)V+1
    j quicktime.QTSession.open()V+3

    At least the error was unexpected. Has anyone encountered this
    problem, and is there a way to fix it?

    Mike, Jul 29, 2005

  2. Mike

    Tim Tyler Guest

    Mike <> wrote or quoted:

    > I've written an applet that uses QuickTime for Java to display some
    > video. I can run the applet in the appletviewer (with a sufficiently
    > lax security policy), but if I try to run it in a Web browser, the JVM
    > and browser crash. Both IE6 and Firefox are affected. I'm using the
    > Java plugin 1.5.0_02, and Windows XP.
    >
    > The HotSpot error log (here hs_err_pid3044.log) starts out with the
    > following lines:
    >
    > # An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:
    > #
    > # EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x6d6c9ab4, pid=3044,
    > tid=3140
    > #
    > # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.5.0_02-b09 mixed mode,
    > sharing)
    > # Problematic frame:
    > # V [jvm.dll+0x89ab4]
    > #
    >
    > and here's the top of the call stack:
    >
    > Java frames: (J=compiled Java code, j=interpreted, Vv=VM code)
    > j quicktime.WinNativeHelper.getDrawingSurface(Ljava/awt/Component;)I+0
    > j quicktime.WinJNIDrawingSurface.<init>(Ljava/awt/Component;)V+16
    > j quicktime.QTSession$QTFrame.addNotify()V+24
    > j java.awt.Window.pack()V+28
    > j quicktime.QTSession.initialize(ILjava/lang/Class;)V+101
    > j quicktime.QTSession.initialize(I)V+2
    > j quicktime.QTSession.open(III)V+1
    > j quicktime.QTSession.open()V+3
    >
    > At least the error was unexpected. Has anyone encountered this
    > problem, and is there a way to fix it?

    The class names in the stack trace suggest JNI is being used.

    Is that going to work in a web browser?
    --
    __________

    Tim Tyler, Jul 31, 2005

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Re: QuickTime for Java: Applet crashes JVM and browsers on Windows

    Indeed, QTJ does require JNI. But my system properties and java.policy
    are set up as follows:

    java.ext.dirs = C:\PROGRA~1\Java\JRE15~1.0_0\lib\ext
    java.home = C:\PROGRA~1\Java\JRE15~1.0_0

    grant codeBase "file:${{java.ext.dirs}}/*" {
    permission java.security.AllPermission;
    };
    // copied from 1.4:
    grant codeBase "file:${java.home}/lib/ext/*" {
    permission java.security.AllPermission;
    };

    and QTJava.zip is in the directory C:\Program
    Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\lib\ext like it should be.

    The directory names don't seem to match, but they do refer to the same
    place:

    03/28/2005 12:32 PM <DIR> JRE15~1.0_0 jre1.5.0_02

    Any ideas?

    Mike, Aug 1, 2005
  4. Mike

    oczkowy

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    RTSP Applet QTJ

    does anybody solve problem with applet qtj in windows?

    oczkowy, Mar 10, 2008