Quixote vs mod_python

flab ba

Hello:

I am new to web app programming, but need to create a web app. I would
like to do it in Python

After extensive googling, reading news groups, blogs, and outdated /
incomplete "web app shoot outs" that don't seem to come to any conclusion,
I came across a number of alternatives, but my limited knowledge in this
field prevents me from seeing the virtues of one framework over the other.
The ones I saw were:

* Quixote (with mod_python or SCGI)
* straight up mod_python (the un-framework)
* Webware
* CherryPy
* Nevow
* Zope
* Snakelets

People had lots of good things to say about Quixote. Nevow looks
promising, but I don't grok it with its limited docs. Plus I get nervous
when there is only one developer working on it. I also get nervous about
Twisted. Zope is a bit heavyweight for what I need, I think.

CherryPy looks interesting, but I'm discouraged by the code-generator.
Supposedly CherryPy2 does away with this - but there has been no release
yet.

So, I'm trying to decide between "straight up" mod_python in conjunction
with something like Cheetah for templating (mod_python's PSP looks ugly),
or using Quixote.

Can somebody sway me one way or the other ? What would Quixote give me
that mod_python + Cheetah doesn't?

Thanks very much.
-Flab

flab ba

Hello:

Nevow looks
promising, but I don't grok it with its limited docs. Plus I get nervous
when there is only one developer working on it. I also get nervous about
Twisted.

Correction: I guess there are several people working on Nevow. Donovan
seems to be the leader.

-Alex

Istvan Albert

flab said:
Can somebody sway me one way or the other ? What would Quixote give me
that mod_python + Cheetah doesn't?

For me Zope works out really well.

You get everything in one place. HTTP, FTP, WEB-DAV, XML-RPC, page templates,
database connectors and python. Plus you can turn over parts of the
web development to others via delegated access. It does have a
learning curve alright ...

but I'd be more worried if it was me piecing together all this
functionality from independent modules or programs

Istvan.

Aahz

Can somebody sway me one way or the other ? What would Quixote give me
that mod_python + Cheetah doesn't?

Quixote is "inside-out" compared to most templating approaches: you
write Python code that emits strings to create web pages. Cheetah is no
different from PHP in that you start by writing a web page as your
framework and then add code.