Rails vs. Catalyst

Greg Brown

I just picked up a job for a company that is working on survey
generation software for marketing and they're currently running a
homegrown solution in perl via CGIFormBuilder on apache with a MySQL
backend. They're evaluating possible solutions for a redesign and
being a ruby fan, I've suggested Rails. After doing some research,
they're interested. However, they've already got a decent amount of
perl code written and are looking at Catalyst as a viable alternative.
I honestly don't know anything about Catalyst and was hoping that some
of you in community can offer me a comparison between Rails and
Catalyst so that I can help this company make the right decision.

Off Topic: As soon as I find the time, I'll be working on a killer
example for Gambit so that hopefully James and I can get it out
soonish. I know he's been busy with a number of things too, and that
he's got an example he'll be working on. I guess whichever one of us
finishes first will determine what eyecandy you get to play with when
it comes out. Also, if there are any feature requests or bug reports
for HighLine, please keep them coming. Just because it went 1.0
doesn't mean we won't touch it :)

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Daniel Berger

Greg said:
I just picked up a job for a company that is working on survey
generation software for marketing and they're currently running a
homegrown solution in perl via CGIFormBuilder on apache with a MySQL
backend. They're evaluating possible solutions for a redesign and
being a ruby fan, I've suggested Rails. After doing some research,
they're interested. However, they've already got a decent amount of
perl code written and are looking at Catalyst as a viable alternative.
I honestly don't know anything about Catalyst and was hoping that some
of you in community can offer me a comparison between Rails and
Catalyst so that I can help this company make the right decision.

I don't know that there's any direct comparison out there yet, but
there was an article on Catalyst at
http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2005/06/02/catalyst.html. RoR does get some
mention in that article. In fact, Catalyst was inspired by RoR (and
Maypole).

HTH.

Dan

Greg Brown

Thanks for the response. I've actually read that article and it's
about all the knowledge on catalyst that I have. It would be nice to
see a comparison of the features, and if anyone can share personal
experiences I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again,
Greg

Greg Brown