Rails vs. Catalyst

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Greg Brown, Jul 17, 2005.

  1. Greg Brown

    Greg Brown Guest

    I just picked up a job for a company that is working on survey
    generation software for marketing and they're currently running a
    homegrown solution in perl via CGIFormBuilder on apache with a MySQL
    backend. They're evaluating possible solutions for a redesign and
    being a ruby fan, I've suggested Rails. After doing some research,
    they're interested. However, they've already got a decent amount of
    perl code written and are looking at Catalyst as a viable alternative.
    I honestly don't know anything about Catalyst and was hoping that some
    of you in community can offer me a comparison between Rails and
    Catalyst so that I can help this company make the right decision.

    Off Topic: As soon as I find the time, I'll be working on a killer
    example for Gambit so that hopefully James and I can get it out
    soonish. I know he's been busy with a number of things too, and that
    he's got an example he'll be working on. I guess whichever one of us
    finishes first will determine what eyecandy you get to play with when
    it comes out. Also, if there are any feature requests or bug reports
    for HighLine, please keep them coming. Just because it went 1.0
    doesn't mean we won't touch it :)

    Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

    Greg Brown, Jul 17, 2005

  2. Greg Brown wrote:
    > I just picked up a job for a company that is working on survey
    > generation software for marketing and they're currently running a
    > homegrown solution in perl via CGIFormBuilder on apache with a MySQL
    > backend. They're evaluating possible solutions for a redesign and
    > being a ruby fan, I've suggested Rails. After doing some research,
    > they're interested. However, they've already got a decent amount of
    > perl code written and are looking at Catalyst as a viable alternative.
    > I honestly don't know anything about Catalyst and was hoping that some
    > of you in community can offer me a comparison between Rails and
    > Catalyst so that I can help this company make the right decision.

    I don't know that there's any direct comparison out there yet, but
    there was an article on Catalyst at
    http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2005/06/02/catalyst.html. RoR does get some
    mention in that article. In fact, Catalyst was inspired by RoR (and
    Maypole).

    HTH.

    Dan

    Daniel Berger, Jul 17, 2005

  3. Greg Brown

    Greg Brown Guest

    Thanks for the response. I've actually read that article and it's
    about all the knowledge on catalyst that I have. It would be nice to
    see a comparison of the features, and if anyone can share personal
    experiences I'd greatly appreciate it.

    Thanks again,
    Greg

    Greg Brown, Jul 18, 2005