RAM based cookies

Mark

I'm told that ram based cookies refer to session cookies (which the browser
may still store on disk if it likes). These cookies that are destroyed when
the bowser exits.

If they are "session cookies", and we have disabled the use of session
because we have clustered web servers and do not want to store session state
elsewhere due to performance concerns, does that prohibit the use of these
session cookies altogether? Or is the information still stored client side,
allowing the use of the cookie on our clustered web servers?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Kevin Spencer

Why would performance issues prohibit the use of Session Cookies? The only
thing stored in a Session Cookie is the Session ID. The Session *data* is in
memory on the web server.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
You can lead a fish to a bicycle,
but it takes a very long time,
and the bicycle has to *want* to change.

Mark

We do not want to store our session data in SQL Server or a State Server due
to performance implications, both valid session options aside from INPROC.
Performance is a factor because of the need for ASP.NET/IIS to call SQL
Server/StateServer to store/retrieve session information. Inproc won't work
in a cluster because your session technically moves from one server to
another within the cluster, and the INPROC session does not follow.

Going back to my question - If ... we have disabled the use of session
because we have clustered web servers and do not want to store session state
elsewhere due to performance concerns, does that prohibit the use of these
session cookies altogether?

Thanks again.

Mark

Kevin Spencer

Well, Mark, you've pretty much ruled out all of the alternatives.