    pros/cons with these types of file access at all?

    Ta

    rayw
    rayw, Nov 28, 2005

  2. rayw wrote:

    > I was wondering if there were some good on-line references to the various
    > pros/cons with these types of file access at all?

    (Please include the relevent information in the body of the message. I
    am assuming that "these types of file access" refers to the subject's
    "Random vs. Sequential".)

    Imagine a database of two million names. How would you update the one
    millionth record? Would random or sequential access be better?

    Imagine a C source file. Would random or sequential access make more
    sense?

    The "pro" is one is better for the task at hand. The "con" is that the
    same one is not necessarily appropriate for a different task.

    Don't e-mail me at: <mailto:>
    Kenneth Brody, Nov 28, 2005