Random vs. Sequential

rayw

I was wondering if there were some good on-line references to the various
pros/cons with these types of file access at all?

Ta

rayw

Kenneth Brody

rayw said:
I was wondering if there were some good on-line references to the various
pros/cons with these types of file access at all?

(Please include the relevent information in the body of the message. I
am assuming that "these types of file access" refers to the subject's
"Random vs. Sequential".)

Imagine a database of two million names. How would you update the one
millionth record? Would random or sequential access be better?

Imagine a C source file. Would random or sequential access make more
sense?

The "pro" is one is better for the task at hand. The "con" is that the
same one is not necessarily appropriate for a different task.