Re: ASPX Page Timeout - Session Timeout

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by bruce barker, Jul 20, 2004.

  1. bruce barker

    bruce barker Guest

    see >>

    "DavidS" <> wrote in message
    > First: There are several ways to confuse one regarding session timeout.
    > (1) web.config - <sessionState timeout="20">

    >> default session timeout for site

    > (2) IIS Manager | Internet Information Services | ServerNode | Default Web

    Site |
    > Properties | Configuration | Options | Enable Session State
    > Session timeout 20

    >> nothing to do with .net - classic asp session timeout

    > (3) within Global.asax.vb file - Session_Start subroutine can use
    > Session.Timeout=x minutes or

    >> overriding the default session timeout at session start

    > (4) within any web page, i.e., <web page>.aspx can use

    Session.Timeout=value
    > Second: Problem I'm having is understanding what controls what!

    Basically, I need the capability for most data entry aspx web pages to be
    say 20 minutes timeout. One other data entry aspx web page I would like to
    be 60 minutes. I'm having a problem doing this.

    >> overriding current session timeout

    > Question(1) - Can you dynamically vary the session timeout for different

    aspx web pages - and if so HOW would I do this.

    >> do it on the page, note once changed, it stays changed until the next

    session

    > Question(2) - Where can I understand BEST the relationship between all the

    ways to change the timeout values - i.e., does each method discussed above
    work to change the session timeout.

    bruce barker, Jul 20, 2004

  2. bruce barker

    ASP.Confused Guest

    From my understanding, page level changes to the session state override
    everything else, and web.config controls the default timeout.

    ASP.Confused, Jul 20, 2004

  3. bruce barker

    ASP.Confused Guest

    Read this...it may help:
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Web/Q_20911575.html

    "DavidS" <> wrote in message
    > Bruce:
    >
    > Before I composed this newsletter to assistance, I did do the following...
    >
    > I had one Page_Load sub of ASPX web page with Session.Timeout = 20.
    > I had another Page_Load sub of ASPX web page with Session.Timeout = 60.
    >
    > There were 2 ways I could do this - I assumed either in code-behind /

    aspx.vb Page_Load or in HTML - JavaScript. I tried both and here is what
    happens.

    > In both instances - I always get default that is also in the web.config of

    20 minutes.
    > Is there an example of where two pages timeout with different settings. I

    also attempted to put the <% Session.Timeout=20 %> or <% Session.Timeout=60
    %> in Header section of web page - <script JavaScript>.

    > I basically keep getting 20 minutes ALWAYS FOR ALL PAGES.
    >
    > What AM I MISSING or HAVE I OVERLOOKED - AGAIN - THIS IS WHY I ASKED MY

    QUESTIONS THE WAY I DID...

    ASP.Confused, Jul 20, 2004