Re: I have a problem with this:

Neredbojias

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Neredbojias

I coulda said "THAT was easy!".

We just got back from going to National Train Day at Los Angeles
Union Station - my girlfriend, her two kids, two other friends and my
son. When I got home, I wished I could take off my feet, not just my
shoes! It was a lot of fun, but boy, am I tired!

Hehe, yeah, I've been on "excursions" like that, too. When we finally
get home, all I want to do is sit in my soft chair and relax. The next
day at work, the guys ask me how it went, not quite hiding the little
deviish tone in their voices. I reply nonchalantly, "Ah, it was easy
peasy."

Neredbojias

How about the computer chair of your dreams?

Oh yeah, and well-padded. Most so-called desk chairs nowadays are hard
as a rock. I need some cushioning for my tender, little tush.

Peter

Once I had a neighbor named Leslie. I don't think it was short for
"Lester", although who knows for sure

Leslie is/was the male version of Lesley. I should know, it's my
brothers middle name.

Peter

sheldonlg said:
What do you mean having to reload the page? That is what AJAX is for.
It sends a message (via javscript) to a server side (php) script which
returns stuff that the javascript used to update a portion of the page.
You don't reload the entire page.

But, what if javascript is disabled? Is it possible to code the page so
that it can reload the whole page if that is the case?

Jenn

Neredbojias said:
Oh yeah, and well-padded. Most so-called desk chairs nowadays are hard
as a rock. I need some cushioning for my tender, little tush.

I have 2 computers in my office at work with 2 separate desks. One I use
and the other is for a server that I get to play with Visual Studio when I
get time, which isn't often these days... so I have 2 chairs... one is very
padded has a short back and is mostly confortable. The other is a tall back
big seated black leather-look... the taller back is good for when I need to
lay back and stretch a bit, but after a while it can get uncomfortable, so I
will swap between them off and on... NEITHER are perfectly comfy tho.

Peter

sheldonlg said:
Basically, you would wind up designing two pages in one.

What you could do is on the home page detect if Javascript is enabled
and set a session variable accordingly. Then on all other pages, based
upon that session variable put up different markup so that it submits
the page where you want that to happen and that will reload the entire
page. That can be done by either submitting to itself and having a
block being performed based upon what button was clicked, or by posting
to another page and then having a header call back to the page of
interest. IOW, a big mess.

My personal opinion is that the best way is to tell the user that the
page requires javascript and so enable it. There really aren't that
many people out there that disable javascript. 99.9% of the population
doesn't even know how or even know what Javascript is, let alone how to
disable it, and it comes enabled by default.
Agreed, though I've heard many use this as some kind of critic of a
particular webpage. Especially in NGs. Though like you say, there's no
problem in setting a session variable at the homepage, though that
wouldn't guarantee its success. Not everyone enters a site through the
index page.

dorayme

sheldonlg said:

Why do you do all this quoting to just say this? Have you ever
once asked if anyone finds it useful? Do you imagine it is useful
to anyone at all and especially on chit chat like this?

Does anyone who quotes in such a completely mindless way like you
(as does the average Google Grouper) actually ever read or learn
about the oft repeated goodly messages in:

dorayme

sheldonlg said:
On 5/9/2010 6:09 PM, dorayme wrote:

Once again you are correct. I should have snipped a lot. Call it
forgetfullness when responding. (I can sort of put a claim in there,
can't I :) ). BTW, I do not post via Google Groups.

I was heads up (Yanky meaning) on this last fact. Sad truth is
that the average quoting quality on non GG is not that great
either. You have been singing like a bird lately. Why not trim
songs that are not yours so yours stand out more?

Adrienne Boswell

I was heads up (Yanky meaning) on this last fact. Sad truth is
that the average quoting quality on non GG is not that great
either. You have been singing like a bird lately. Why not trim
songs that are not yours so yours stand out more?

I love it when non-Americans try to use American phrases! In your case,
dorayme, it would be "I HAD a heads up". Here's a good one from my
Philipina boss:

Me: "The letter was mailed on Thursday"
Her: "I know they didn't mail it until Monday. If it shows up with a
Thursday postmark, I'll eat craw!"
Me: "Umm, that's eat CROW, craw is the crop or preliminary stomach of a
fowl, where food is predigested."

Neredbojias

Almost no bugs where I live. Many more in Maine.

Yeah, the North can get 'em, too, but when I was down there around
Miami, there seemed to be scads.
Alligators don't bother you if you don't feed them, thereby enticing
them near you.

Well what do you do if one decides your arm would make a good lunch?
Old is a relative term.

You're (very probably) someone's relative, too, you know...
I have yet to see a snake here in 4 years.

Really? I was kid of around 8 or 9 in St. Petersburg less than 3 days
when I saw this big, huge, *thick* snake at the end of the backyard
where it turned into jungle. That was the end of me going into the
backyard 'cept for the very front when accompanied by an adult. (True
story.)
Never heard of a man-eating palm tree.

Well, I assumed they were man-eating. Did you see the size of their
nuts?

Neredbojias

Once again you are correct. I should have snipped a lot. Call it
forgetfullness when responding. (I can sort of put a claim in there,
can't I :) ). BTW, I do not post via Google Groups.

dorayme is correct more often than the average jamoke might think. She
just lacks savoir faire, chutzpah, discretion, intuitiveness, and the
ability to yodel.

Neredbojias

On Tue, 4 May 2010 06:10:42 +0000 (UTC)

[snip]
I used to say that about frames. Anyway, the site is up and some
of the bugs are even worked out of it. There are several tables
(but don't expect it to be what you expect.)

http://www.moviegnu.com

If you or someone with virgin ie7 could check it in that, I'd
appreciate it.

Seems to work and look fine in IE7.

I do have a few suggestions:

• Filter the onresize calls. It's not too bad if it is simply
maximized or minimized, but resizing in any other way will
make many many resize calls, could cause a problem.

http://bootnicredirect.bounceme.net/ex0002

• Change document.body.clientHeight/Width to
document.documentElement.clientHeight/Width.

• If you wish to check for Opera I suggest using window.opera
rather then getting the uastring.

if(window.opera){/*do something for opera*/}

Over all it looks good.

Okay, I implimented the suggestions you made, in one way or another,
and everything seems hunky. That "resize-lag" thingy, however, is only
applied to Opera and Safari (-cause the other brows do it right).
Also, window.opera triggers ff as well as Opera. If you'd be so kind,
see what you think.

Jonathan N. Little

Lewis said:
It's not a matter of even throwing away garbage, it is sometimes about
compromising the entire server.

I've seen machines that were so filled with crap php that 90% of the
processes were spambots and kiddie porn.

I recall a furry of XSS Iframe injection *unsuccessful* hacks trapped in
my logs by hackers looking to exploit the lousy coding practice of a
number of CFM coders. Not checking passed parameters...bad-bad-bad!

Jenn

I wrote a long reply here, but it came out to strong and Jenn would have
reacted poorly to it -- so I deleted it. Instead,

Jenn, if you will not try to write perfect server side code, meeting all
standards, and highly readable and modifiable -- by an independent third
party that the customer may hire in the future --, then do yourself a
favor and don't even begin.

I can't even begin to tell you how much garbage php I have thrown away and
rewritten from scratch.

On the server side, "good enough" is never "good enough".

I don't write PHP to begin with ..... so I don't really understand the
issue?

Jenn

Jonathan N. Little said:
That is where you are absolutely incorrect. And when you start dabbling in
server-side scripting with the same attitude and disregard to actually
learning how to properly code it can be quite costly to your clients with
a compromised site.

I haven't made it a goal of mine to learn server-side scripting at this
time, anyway.

Jenn

That is where you are absolutely incorrect. And when you start dabbling in
server-side scripting with the same attitude and disregard to actually
learning how to properly code it can be quite costly to your clients with
a compromised site.

Oh, I forgot: LOL

So keep laughing for now. If you ever start really learning web design and
then you take a serious review of what you have done and what you have
posted here now you will realize what a fool you have been. No snark--I am
been very sincere. (Well the "LOL" was a bit snarky, but the rest is said
in earnest)

Web Design is an art and it grows with each design that has been created.
The beauty of it is in designing something that will be pleasing to the eye,
but also functional and easy to navigate for the user. Every new site is a
learning experience to be added to what a person may design in the future.
I'm already a web designer and webmaster by trade and I'm always learning
new things along the way as I work. If I waited 'til I *arrived* to having
anything perfect, I'd never go forward or make a living at it. So, I do
what I have to do every day, learn when I can, search for what will work for
the current need, and go from there.

I'm not really sure why you want to be *snarky*, as you said, about me
adding the LOL to my posts. If I am happy when I am posting, I will add an
emoticon (a smile) or the LOL. Why does that bother you?

Jenn

The issue is _IF_ annd when you ever decide to learn php and program in
it, then the "good enough to get the job done" attitude will lead to more
problems and headaches than you can even begin to imagine. You need to be
completely structured and organized from step 1, and you need to code so
that _another_ coder can pick up your work, understand it quickly, and
carry on. Anything less is an invitation for migraines and disaster.
That is what I meant by "good enough" is never "good enough".

It would be great if I was in a position to even learn server side code and
work with it. School is not an option at this time, and I don't see me
learning something like that on my own.

Jenn

On 5/10/2010 1:03 PM, Jenn wrote:

Those days are pretty much gone. Web design is now much more focused on
making money. What I mean by that is commercial sites (where a
designer's/develper's business is mostly at) place a far greater emphasis
on "how easy is it for the user to spend money so that I can collect it
and be profitable" rather than "look how pretty this site is". that is not
to say that "pretty" isn't important. It is just that is no longer the
focus. So, saying that web design is an art is simply going down the
yellow brick road to the fantasyland of Oz. Web design is a methodology
to get to the most efficient, AND maintainable, site to garner the site
owner the greatest income.

I really don't believe those days are gone at all... People want sites to
represent their businesses and one of the first questions I'm asked is about
the look of the site.. is it old looking or does it need a facelift. Design
is an artistic expression, so we will just have to disagree here.

You have your priorities upside down. It must be (a) functional, (b) easy
for the user to navigate, (3) easily maintainable and, oh yes, " (d)
pleasing to the eye".

The first thing customers access on any site is what they are going to be
seeing. If what they see isn't what they want to see, which would include
how the content is laid out, they will go elsewhere. Ease of navigation
would be next with total content being equally important.

I haven't seen any professional sites here yet, only hobby type sites.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jenn said:
I really don't believe those days are gone at all... People want
sites to represent their businesses and one of the first questions
I'm asked is about the look of the site.. is it old looking or does
it need a facelift. Design is an artistic expression, so we will
just have to disagree here.

I have never had a client ask me about what kind of code I will be
using. Does that give me the go-ahead to just ignore the code? Clients
have no idea what goes on beneath the surface of their browser viewport,
so why would you expect them to mention anything else besides the
"look."
The first thing customers access on any site is what they are going
to be seeing. If what they see isn't what they want to see, which
would include how the content is laid out, they will go elsewhere.

What?? That reads like some kind of double-speak .. or what an
inexperienced web developer would try to sell a client.
Ease of navigation would be next with total content being equally
important.

So, being accessible to handicapped visitors, being usable in all manner
of browsing devices - or search engines - are not important. Right?
I haven't seen any professional sites here yet, only hobby type
sites.

You told me my professional site was "designed by a man."

Perhaps .. one day .. you will understand that creating web sites is not
just about "what it looks like." Or not.