    connect to the service controller..

    Has anyone been able to get py2exe services to work with 2.3?

    Thanks

    Brad Clements, Aug 20, 2003

  2. Re: py2exe service doesn't work, can't connect to servicecontroller ?

    "Brad Clements" <> writes:

    > I edited the svc_run.exe file and changed PyWinTypes22.dll to
    > PyWinTypes23.dll. py2exe now builds a distribution that does not use any 2.2
    > Python components.
    >
    > However the service still fails to load after installation with the
    > following error:
    >

    > The description for Event ID ( 240 ) in Source ( MyService ) cannot be
    > found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
    > message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following
    > information is part of the event: 1063, The service process could not
    > connect to the service controller..
    >
    > Has anyone been able to get py2exe services to work with 2.3?

    Brad, I want to lookm after this tonight. Do you have any further
    information for me? Does the service run with 2.2?

    Thomas

    Thomas Heller, Aug 22, 2003

  3. Re: py2exe service doesn't work, can't connect to servicecontroller ?

    "Brad Clements" <> writes:

    > I edited the svc_run.exe file and changed PyWinTypes22.dll to
    > PyWinTypes23.dll. py2exe now builds a distribution that does not use any 2.2
    > Python components.
    >
    > However the service still fails to load after installation with the
    > following error:
    >

    > The description for Event ID ( 240 ) in Source ( MyService ) cannot be
    > found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
    > message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following
    > information is part of the event: 1063, The service process could not
    > connect to the service controller..
    >
    > Has anyone been able to get py2exe services to work with 2.3?

    Brad,

    I've uploaded a new py2exe binary installer for Python 2.3.

    <http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/py2exe/py2exe-0.4.2.win32-py2.3.exe?download>

    There may still be problems with the event log (the descriptions are not
    found), but otherwise at least the py2exe sample service works
    correctly.
    Well, you can install, start, stop, and remove it ;-)

    Thomas

    Thomas Heller, Aug 22, 2003
  4. "Thomas Heller" <> wrote in message

    > There may still be problems with the event log (the descriptions are not
    > found), but otherwise at least the py2exe sample service works
    > correctly.
    > Well, you can install, start, stop, and remove it ;-)

    Unfortunately, I cannot start the service, it always fails.

    Here's what I've tried.

    1. the latest version of py2exe you just released for 2.3

    Build the sample MyService on Windows 2000 SP3

    I can install and remove the service ok.

    If I run the service, I get the same error previously reported:

    The description for Event ID ( 240 ) in Source ( MyService ) cannot be
    found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
    message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following
    information is part of the event: 1063, The service process could not
    connect to the service controller..

    Also, if using MyService.exe to start the service, it reports error "997"
    while starting the service.

    I can, however, use Myservice.exe -debug and that will run the service, it
    does put an informational message in the event log on startup and shutdown,
    though as you note, it's missing the descriptor for the event message.

    2. Same as above, but try it on a different windows 2000 machine. Same
    problem.

    3. Use py2exe version 0.4.1 with Python22

    Same problem as reported in 1 and 2 above.

    However in all cases, using Python to run MyService works ok.

    If you can't recreate this error, then I'll need to figure out how to make a
    debug version of the service, and figure out how to debug a service. How do
    I do that?

    Brad Clements, Aug 24, 2003